• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right-of-way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rjv918

I purchased my house 7 years ago and the title referenced a Right-OF-Way through the driveway, over railroad ties and across a sloped area, through a fence to a business in the back of my house. The holder of the right-of-way called to say he wants to exercise his right of way so that he can have 2 access roads to the street. The right-of-way was put into effect back around 1920 since the owners of the estate needed access to their business out back. I have parked my car there for 7 years, the prior owner parked there for 9, and the prior owners parked their cars here before that. I live in Mass and would like to know what the laws are regarding 'rights-of'way' and adverse possession. I have parked there for 7 years, have maintained and developed the back half of the yard (it was brush and 12 foot weeds when we moved in), I own the land and pay taxes on it every quarter. What are my rights? And what can the holder of the right-of-way do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">