• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right of way woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gfrost01

I live in Virginia in a subdivision completely managed and maintained by a Home Owners Association. The association has recently told me my paved driveway that was built 12 years ago is causing erosion to the gravel road I live on. They recently decided to take action and remove the end of my driveway and replace it with gravel in an attempt to widen the road and improve drainage. This work has been billed to me and now my driveway is almost unusable since the new transition is so steep, that the car bumpers make contact. The association said that they have a 20 foot right of way and they can basically do what they want, and that my new problem cuased by them is all my problem...not thiers. Is there any recourse for me? Are there any implications concerning right of way and the affect on a property?What is the name of your state?

FlyingRon

You need to check the ROW and the homeowners documents. Most likely they can do what they did. However, a lot of the Virginia docs only give them the right to bill you for specific remedy (not a general assessment) after they inform you that you need to correct something and you fail to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">