• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of residents on small dirt road.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fran96

We live on a small dirt road in coastal N. Carolina. It is the access road to a very small subdivision (sub-divided in 1959 from farm land) There are currently only ten residences on this road and no homeowners association.

My husband and I have been the only ones to pay for maintaining the road for over 20 years. My problem isn't how to get the others to pay up, but how to stop one other from destroying the road.

Most of the others on this road are family and poorer than we are. We know they can afford little. But the niece in the first house off of the highway just bought her delinquent son a $2500 go cart. The son has done as much damage to the lane, as the last three hurricanes combined. Is there anyway to stop this??? or maybe get the repair costs from the family? Obviously if they can afford this go cart, they could also afford to help a little with the road.

HomeGuru

You need to review your tile report and survey to determine ownership and maintenance of the road.
If jointly owned by the homeowners, you could go to court and force repair/maint settlement among the owners.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">