• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of tenants in common

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Randi Wortham

I am one of two owners in common of a private residence in the state of Washington. I currently have a greater financial interest than the other owner. What are my rights as an owner in common? Can I offer the property for sale without the consent of the other owner? Is there any standard for an agreement between owners in common where one owner is in residence on the property and the other is absent? Should all expenses, e.g., repair and maintenance, be shared by both owners? Should improvements or repairs/maintenance over a set cost be agreed to by both owners?

HomeGuru

You can not offer the property for sale without the other owners consent.
You should have had an attorney do an agreement before purchasing the property to spell out the terms and conditions of ownership. There is no standard agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">