• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Room mates kicking daughter out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fsuparent

My daughter is a college student in Florida. On May 1st she and 2 other girls signed a 7 month lease which would convert to a month to month lease on December 1st. She was just told by the two room mates that they want her to leave at the end of the semester, by january 1st 2001 so that they can replace her with one of their friends. My question is in two parts --

1. Does she have to give notice of her intent to vacate the premises to the apartment complex even though she is being kicked out by the girls and

2. Her third of the security deposit was $150 and her third of the untility deposit was $60 - she paid these amounts to the girl in the apartment who is responsibile for writing the monthly checks for the apartment -- how does she go about getting this money back from this girl -- can she just deduct them from her last month's rent??

thank you --

HomeGuru

Originally posted by fsuparent:
My daughter is a college student in Florida. On May 1st she and 2 other girls signed a 7 month lease which would convert to a month to month lease on December 1st. She was just told by the two room mates that they want her to leave at the end of the semester, by january 1st 2001 so that they can replace her with one of their friends. My question is in two parts --

1. Does she have to give notice of her intent to vacate the premises to the apartment complex even though she is being kicked out by the girls and

HomeGuru response: yes becasue she is a direct tenant with the landlord and not a sub-tenant with the roommates.

2. Her third of the security deposit was $150 and her third of the untility deposit was $60 - she paid these amounts to the girl in the apartment who is responsibile for writing the monthly checks for the apartment -- how does she go about getting this money back from this girl -- can she just deduct them from her last month's rent??

HomeGuru response: she is to get the security and utlity deposit back directly from the landlord. If the tenants pay the utilities then she is to get that deposit back from the girl that she paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">