• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roomate leaving--what's the deal with the deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leckalie

I am a student in CA, and have been living with my roomate since December. She's been living here for 3+ yrs, and is done with school--basically, she's moving out. There are patches on the walls from before I moved in, and stains on the carpet(I'm not entirely guilt-free here). She wants her half of the deposit back, but I feel that this will leave me liable for the damages which were caused before I moved in. Should the landlord repair some of this before my new roomate moves in, or am I stuck being responsible for this?

I really want to be fair here.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by leckalie:
I am a student in CA, and have been living with my roomate since December. She's been living here for 3+ yrs, and is done with school--basically, she's moving out. There are patches on the walls from before I moved in, and stains on the carpet(I'm not entirely guilt-free here). She wants her half of the deposit back, but I feel that this will leave me liable for the damages which were caused before I moved in. Should the landlord repair some of this before my new roomate moves in, or am I stuck being responsible for this?

I really want to be fair here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have L inspect the property as if you were both moving out, then you tenants do the repairs and/or decide on the deduction from the security deposit of current roomie before the new roommate moves in. Start clean with the new roommate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">