• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate refuses to pay rent or bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Putz

This is the last month of the lease my brother and I share with our shady roommate. He has not yet paid his share, and every time we ask about it he shrugs and claims not to have the money or pretends not to hear. He has been late and/or short every month for the past four months. on top of that he has not paid any money towards the bills for three months, and he racks up a hundred dollars or more in long distance calls every month. He has borrowed lots of money from both of us without paying it back, yet he constantly buys stuff (4-5 DVDs and CDs a week). Two weeks ago we came home to find a ton of furniture and three people in our house, he told a bunch of his future roommates they could crash at our place for the rest of the month.
We just want what is rightfully ours. A friend suggested we take some of his stuff and hold it until he pays us back. Is this legal? We are moving on the 21st so we need to figure out what to do soon. Help.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Putz:
This is the last month of the lease my brother and I share with our shady roommate. He has not yet paid his share, and every time we ask about it he shrugs and claims not to have the money or pretends not to hear. He has been late and/or short every month for the past four months. on top of that he has not paid any money towards the bills for three months, and he racks up a hundred dollars or more in long distance calls every month. He has borrowed lots of money from both of us without paying it back, yet he constantly buys stuff (4-5 DVDs and CDs a week). Two weeks ago we came home to find a ton of furniture and three people in our house, he told a bunch of his future roommates they could crash at our place for the rest of the month.
We just want what is rightfully ours. A friend suggested we take some of his stuff and hold it until he pays us back. Is this legal? We are moving on the 21st so we need to figure out what to do soon. Help.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does he have a signed lease? If so file eviction. Regardless, you need to file a small claims action to demand the rent money, money loaned to him etc. You can not steal his stuff and hold for ransom.

T

Tracey

He's obviously got money somewhere. After you win in small claims, you can garnish his wages or bank acount until you're paid back. You might also disable the long didtance on the phone, since the new squatters will run up bills also. You & bro can use calling cards for a few weeks.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">