• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suek

I live in Evanston, ILL. I live in an apartment with a roommate. We do not have a lease. My roommate moved out. Is he still legally responsible for half the rent?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by suek:
I live in Evanston, ILL. I live in an apartment with a roommate. We do not have a lease. My roommate moved out. Is he still legally responsible for half the rent?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only for say 30 days which is the time period with respect to a m/m lease.

L

Lynnette

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by suek:
We do not have a lease. My roommate moved out. Is he still legally responsible for half the rent?[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like you have a month-to-month tenancy. You're still living there; unfortunately, the burden falls on you for the full amount of rent. However, you can sue you ex-roomie for whatever balance he/she owed FOR THE TIME he/she lived there. To protect yourself next time, ask for a written lease and get BOTH names put on it, or at least have roommate commit to renting by signing some kind of agreement with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">