• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommates broke lease, now harassing us for deposit.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mcarlson

Hello! I'm currently trying to decided if small claims court is in my future. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

So I live in the state of Washington. 3ish years ago my husband and I entered a lease with another couple. We renewed this lease 3 times.

The original deal was half and half, each year our landlord raised the rent and we would spit it half and half. The last year and last renewal we were going to move due to another raise in rent, but the other couple begged us to stay as they would pay a larger sum of the rent. (now 900 for them and 500 for us.) The wife was pregnant and did not want to move. We all signed a year lease and moved forward. 3/4 way through the lease they moved out and left us with the bill (1400 month plus utilities)

Jump forward we no longer live in that apartment, we had to vacate 1 month early because we just couldn't afford it any longer. Our landlord was very understanding and let us out of the lease, but he still charged us 250 for breaking the lease early. Our deposit was 1250 (the original rent the first year) we only got back 1000. We kept the deposit, but now our former roommates are harassing us to pay them half the deposit. Our landlord told us it was up to us to give them any of the deposit, and that we should deduct the 250 fee if we gave them anything at all since they originally broke the lease. He also reminded us that we were the master tenants and in the end responsible for the rent and the deposit was ours to determine who gets what. The deposit came in my name.

My question is due I owe them anything?
We had to pay rent for 3 months, thier part would have equaled 2700$ not including utilities.

We did find a roommate for the last few months but she only paid 500$ a month. So 2700 - 1500 still leave us with a bill of 1200$.

They want us to pay them the 400$ but I feel like I owe them nothing. Should I take them to small claims court to try and get the 800 (1200-400) I feel they owe me?

Thanks in advance
Mary

STEPHAN

Do you think you will be able to collect money from them if you would win in court? Nobody will do that for you, you have to do it.

LdiJ

Hello! I'm currently trying to decided if small claims court is in my future. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

So I live in the state of Washington. 3ish years ago my husband and I entered a lease with another couple. We renewed this lease 3 times.

The original deal was half and half, each year our landlord raised the rent and we would spit it half and half. The last year and last renewal we were going to move due to another raise in rent, but the other couple begged us to stay as they would pay a larger sum of the rent. (now 900 for them and 500 for us.) The wife was pregnant and did not want to move. We all signed a year lease and moved forward. 3/4 way through the lease they moved out and left us with the bill (1400 month plus utilities)

Jump forward we no longer live in that apartment, we had to vacate 1 month early because we just couldn't afford it any longer. Our landlord was very understanding and let us out of the lease, but he still charged us 250 for breaking the lease early. Our deposit was 1250 (the original rent the first year) we only got back 1000. We kept the deposit, but now our former roommates are harassing us to pay them half the deposit. Our landlord told us it was up to us to give them any of the deposit, and that we should deduct the 250 fee if we gave them anything at all since they originally broke the lease. He also reminded us that we were the master tenants and in the end responsible for the rent and the deposit was ours to determine who gets what. The deposit came in my name.

My question is due I owe them anything?
We had to pay rent for 3 months, thier part would have equaled 2700$ not including utilities.

We did find a roommate for the last few months but she only paid 500$ a month. So 2700 - 1500 still leave us with a bill of 1200$.

They want us to pay them the 400$ but I feel like I owe them nothing. Should I take them to small claims court to try and get the 800 (1200-400) I feel they owe me?

Thanks in advance
Mary
The bolded would be a valid counter suit if they actually sue you, but otherwise I really wouldn't bother. Even if you won collecting from them could be quite difficult.

Mcarlson

Roommates

No I do not think I can collect, they won't pay me. They truly believe they are in the right and did nothing wrong. They said that to me face to face. I've made it clear what they did was wrong and left us screwed. I don't even want the money, what I want is for them to back off and move on, but I get text, calls and they randomly show up at family or social events just to harass us. I want closure and peace. It's 400$ it's petty.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No I do not think I can collect, they won't pay me. They truly believe they are in the right and did nothing wrong. They said that to me face to face. I've made it clear what they did was wrong and left us screwed. I don't even want the money, what I want is for them to back off and move on, but I get text, calls and they randomly show up at family or social events just to harass us. I want closure and peace. It's 400$ it's petty.
Then pay the $400 and move on with life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">