• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommates rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peg66

What is the name of your state? NY

I began renting an apartment in February 2002 for a 6 month term. My boyfriend of 3 years came to live with me in mid-March. His name was on the original lease, but things are not going well in the relationship, so I left his name off the renewal lease. He did not sign either lease. All of the rent payments are from my checking account. What are my legal rights in having him removed from the apartment?

HomeGuru

You and L have all the legal rights as provided in the NY state laws governing landlord tenant law. He is considered a m/m co-tenant.

P

peg66

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand your abbreviations, though. I'm assuming L is landlord, but what is m/m co-tenant? Does this mean that if he doesn't leave of his own volition, I can have him removed by the police, or do I have to have the landlord formally evict him?

HomeGuru

peg66 said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand your abbreviations, though. I'm assuming L is landlord, but what is m/m co-tenant? Does this mean that if he doesn't leave of his own volition, I can have him removed by the police, or do I have to have the landlord formally evict him?
**A: L is Landlord and m/m is month to month. This is a civil action and the police will not remove him. You and L need to file eviction pursuant to State law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">