• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Section 8 Evictions in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcara

Texas
I am considering becoming a certified section 8 landlord. I have heard that it is more difficult to evict a section 8 tenant but have not been able to find any references to section 8 tenants in either the Texas State Statutes or the local Municiple codes. One web site I visited said that I had to send a copy of the eviction notice to Hud at the same time I served the tenant. Is this true? Also where do I research other related requirements of a landlord of a section 8 tenant?

FlyingRon

You need to check the Federal law as well. Specifically 24CFR982.31. You must send the eviction notice to the Texas (or local as appropriate) PHA (not HUD). Mostly that makes sure the subsidy stops with the eviction. You can't evict because the subsidy payment from the PHA doesn't come for whatever reason however.

dcara

Thats interesting to know; and, thanks for the reference. I was at the Dallas HA web site and they had a special notice to landlords posted asking not to evict their clients on the basis of late rents since they were having some type of internal processing problem.

Here's a link to the notice
http://www.dhadal.com/HSS/landlord_letter.html

Doug

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">