• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Section 8 Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itallfallsdown

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My mother received a personal injury settlement of 100k but is under section 8, receiving less than 25-30k a year. Under 24 CFR 5.609 - Annual income, I believe it should not affect her but I am not sure. Can someone give me advice? She is in her 40s and is currently working. Thank you.

Under HUD guidelines, lump sum additions to assets, including insurance payments under personal/accident/settlements are excluded from income caculations.

itallfallsdown

Under HUD guidelines, lump sum additions to assets, including insurance payments under personal/accident/settlements are excluded from income caculations.
Will it still need to be reported to section 8? I know it does not need to be reported to the IRS. I appreciate your response as well, thank you.

Will it still need to be reported to section 8? I know it does not need to be reported to the IRS. I appreciate your response as well, thank you.
Yes, she is required to report to section 8 any assets (cash or cash value) over $5,000 and "some" income will be generated from that. Asset over $5,000 will be inputed income at .06 percent and added to her household income. This amount, on $100,000 is minimal and won't affect her rent portion much, if at all.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

At the same time this could be a wonderful chance for her to find a home she can buy or if she could handle it a two unit ( duplex ) if one can be found with that much money ( as in a foreclosure) as a way to have a income off of the property and let her be in a different type of housing if she has not been happy with where she has been living)

itallfallsdown

So it is not necessarily excluded. It is however just taken into account at a small percentage that should not count against her greatly. Ok thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">