• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

security deposit amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

littlehuey

We are looking at homes and condos to rent,
but some of the security deposits are very
high. Can they charge a high amount for the
deposit. Example = Monthly rent is 1250.00
and the deposit is 2500.00 so the total move
in price is 3750.00, this seems a little high
and looks like it is 3 months rent. Any help
would be nice. We live in California.

T

Tracey

Are you sure it's 2500 deposit & not 1250 deposit + 1250 for last month's rent? If it's really all deposit, check with the local tenant's union and/or city ordinances to see if there's a cap on the amount L can demand as a deposit. Many states limit the deposit to 1 1/2 month's rent.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

L

littlehuey

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Are you sure it's 2500 deposit & not 1250 deposit + 1250 for last month's rent? If it's really all deposit, check with the local tenant's union and/or city ordinances to see if there's a cap on the amount L can demand as a deposit. Many states limit the deposit to 1 1/2 month's rent.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes it is really $2500.00 just for the deposit, and this was not the first place that asked for a large amount, another one wanted total move in price of $4200.00 and the monthly rent was only $1300.00. And thank you for your advice I will check on the laws for california. Also the persons asking for the deposits are real estate agents, I am sure they know how much can be asked for on deposits, but I will still check on what you adviced. Thanks

M

MissMelissa24

I believe in California the maximum deposit they can charge is twice the monthly rent. Unfortunately in this case it looks like they have taken it to this extreme. I got that info from Springstreet.com.

Good luck on your housing search! It's no fun here in California, I know!
Melissa

L

littlehuey

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MissMelissa24:
I believe in California the maximum deposit they can charge is twice the monthly rent. Unfortunately in this case it looks like they have taken it to this extreme. I got that info from Springstreet.com.

Good luck on your housing search! It's no fun here in California, I know!
Melissa
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you very much for the info. I will check this also. And yes it
is not that fun in California (Rent is to Much)Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">