• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit Los Angeles, CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

basamdamdu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello there,

Classic story:
-My landlord has not returned my security deposit or an itemized list of deductions within 21 days.
-After 22 days, I sent a letter demanding return of full deposit within 10 days or I'll take them to court.
-It's now been 48 days past the deadline and I've still not heard from them.
-I am going to file a claim.

My question:
-My landlord is listed as a Limited Partnership with a an agent of service in a different city (Sacramento) from where I rented the place.
Who do I serve? Can I serve the property manager which I can have a friend serve in person?
Or do I need to serve the official agent of service? In that case, how do I serve this agent of service? Serving in person is not an option as I am hundreds of miles away. And I keep reading that mailing (certified or else) is not possible either.

I've just called the Small Claims Advisor line and they said it is fine to serve the property manager.

I just want a second educated opinion.

Thank you for your time.
BD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">