• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pat1330

My landlord didn't return all of my deposit,saying that I owed money for water bill. This was only mentioned after we moved out and he said after 23 months he could take this out never having verbally or in writing indicated we were not paying enough. He charged us $9.00/mo which was paid. Is this legal?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat1330:
My landlord didn't return all of my deposit,saying that I owed money for water bill. This was only mentioned after we moved out and he said after 23 months he could take this out never having verbally or in writing indicated we were not paying enough. He charged us $9.00/mo which was paid. Is this legal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please provide more details on the water bill issue.

P

Pat1330

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat1330:
My landlord didn't return all of my deposit,saying that I owed money for water bill. This was only mentioned after we moved out and he said after 23 months he could take this out never having verbally or in writing indicated we were not paying enough. He charged us $9.00/mo which was paid. Is this legal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

P

Pat1330

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Please provide more details on the water bill issue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We lived in 2 story house. We didn"t have separete water meter. Landlord had bottom floor. In the 23 months we lived there he never billed us for water over the $9.00 mo he requested. When we moved out , he listed Additional bill for water and deducted it from security deposit. I don't think that is right. He should have billed us at the time. Am I correct? Can I take him to small claims court to get my momey? Are you familar with Calif. Law? Thank You...

HomeGuru

Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Please provide more details on the water bill issue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We lived in 2 story house. We didn"t have separete water meter. Landlord had bottom floor. In the 23 months we lived there he never billed us for water over the $9.00 mo he requested. When we moved out , he listed Additional bill for water and deducted it from security deposit. I don't think that is right. He should have billed us at the time. Am I correct? Can I take him to small claims court to get my momey? Are you familar with Calif. Law? Thank You...
What does your lease say with respect to who is responsible for the water and how much? Is there anything is writing stating that you pay up to $9 a month maximum? I know Calif law like I know Calif flower.

P

Pat1330

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
What does your lease say with respect to who is responsible for the water and how much? Is there anything is writing stating that you pay up to $9 a month maximum? I know Calif law like I know Calif flower. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi... nothing was specified in rental agreement except I was responsible for utilities. He never indicated he was going to save up a water bill and deduct it from my deposit or anything else. I hope you know alot about Calif flowers or we are both wasting each others time. Thanks

HomeGuru

What does your lease say with respect to who is responsible for the water and how much? Is there anything is writing stating that you pay up to $9 a month maximum? I know Calif law like I know Calif flower. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi... nothing was specified in rental agreement except I was responsible for utilities. He never indicated he was going to save up a water bill and deduct it from my deposit or anything else. I hope you know alot about Calif flowers or we are both wasting each others time. Thanks
Ok there's your answer, it was in the lease all the time. You are responsible to pay the water bill. It doesn't matter when L billed you when billed or at the end for you are contractually obligated to pay for water in accordance with the lease agreement. Yes I agree that L should have presented the bills at the time he got them but then again why didn't you ask for them if you knew it was your responsibility to pay for same. You both are a fault for failure to communicate, but the bottom line is you must pay. You are free to argue the amounts to pay say up to $9 a month and see what happens.

Califlower is a new hybrid breed of cauliflower vegetable grown in Southern California on organic farms using the hydroponic method.

Even if I did not know Calif law, that would be ok since I get paid by the minute. My time is very valuable that it is calculated by the billable minute and charged in increments of a minute. So even I spent 20 seconds answering a post, I bill for 60 seconds. Gotta run, clock is ticking.

P

Pat1330

Ok there's your answer, it was in the lease all the time. You are responsible to pay the water bill. It doesn't matter when L billed you when billed or at the end for you are contractually obligated to pay for water in accordance with the lease agreement. Yes I agree that L should have presented the bills at the time he got them but then again why didn't you ask for them if you knew it was your responsibility to pay for same. You both are a fault for failure to communicate, but the bottom line is you must pay. You are free to argue the amounts to pay say up to $9 a month and see what happens.

Califlower is a new hybrid breed of cauliflower vegetable grown in Southern California on organic farms using the hydroponic method.

Even if I did not know Calif law, that would be ok since I get paid by the minute. My time is very valuable that it is calculated by the billable minute and charged in increments of a minute. So even I spent 20 seconds answering a post, I bill for 60 seconds. Gotta run, clock is ticking.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for your opinion... you have a real sense of humor!!!

HomeGuru

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for your opinion... you have a real sense of humor!!!
HomeGuru response: I am happy that you enjoyed my opinion. I get paid extra for the good (or mediocre) humor. Ok then, on to the next post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">