• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit Recovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DepositDispute

I live in Virginia and I have several issues I need addressed. First what constitutes normal wear and tear? My landlord came into the unit a day before the lease was up and painted. She told me she is going to take the cost of supplies out of my deposit. Is this acceptable since re-painting is requried after vacancy of each tennant? Also when I first moved in with another individual who broke the lease early, her half of the deposit was forfeited. The landlord didn't complete a check out inspection for my ex roomie until 5 mos later. At that time I had another roommate, who too moved out (she didn't pay a security deposit to move in) and no check out inspecion was done until 4 mos later. Now that my landlord has done a check out inspeciton for me, my half of the deposit is being penalized only. Is this okay? Doesn't she have to take her deductions from the deposit equally? Also, I had an additional phone jack placed in the unit as well as cable put in. Is this considered altering the structure of the property or redecorating?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DepositDispute:
I live in Virginia and I have several issues I need addressed. First what constitutes normal wear and tear? My landlord came into the unit a day before the lease was up and painted. She told me she is going to take the cost of supplies out of my deposit. Is this acceptable since re-painting is requried after vacancy of each tennant? Also when I first moved in with another individual who broke the lease early, her half of the deposit was forfeited. The landlord didn't complete a check out inspection for my ex roomie until 5 mos later. At that time I had another roommate, who too moved out (she didn't pay a security deposit to move in) and no check out inspecion was done until 4 mos later. Now that my landlord has done a check out inspeciton for me, my half of the deposit is being penalized only. Is this okay? Doesn't she have to take her deductions from the deposit equally? Also, I had an additional phone jack placed in the unit as well as cable put in. Is this considered altering the structure of the property or redecorating?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

L can not charge for painting/supplies as this is considered normal wear and tear, unless T damaged/marked the walls. L can deduct from any tenants deposit as it is considered one account. Telephone and cable installation for the most part would not be altering or redecorating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">