• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller disclosed existing or prospective buyers race percent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCDude

I live in NC and i purchased a home an year back. When I approached a selling consultant. He disclosed the percentage of existing/prospective buyers race to attract the closing. As per law, can the real selling consultant disclose the % of race?
I wrote a letter to the corporate office and response was "I was fairly treated". Is that correct and if please advice my options as I strongly feel it is legal for anyone to disclose or use the word of "RACE".

quincy

I live in NC and i purchased a home an year back. When I approached a selling consultant. He disclosed the percentage of existing/prospective buyers race to attract the closing. As per law, can the real selling consultant disclose the % of race?
I wrote a letter to the corporate office and response was "I was fairly treated". Is that correct and if please advice my options as I strongly feel it is legal for anyone to disclose or use the word of "RACE".
There is nothing inherently illegal about using the word "race" and those in the real estate profession can (and should) answer any questions asked of them honestly.

In what context did the "selling consultant" disclose the race of prospective/existing buyers? Do you believe there was racial "steering" (showing properties to prospective buyers based on race and the racial makeup of an area) or do you believe that the consultant was discriminating based on race, or did the consultant answer a question by providing you with the latest census data?

Here is some information on racial steering and the Fair Housing Act (from The Tulsa Law Review, Neil C. Bruce, 2007): http://digitalcommons.law.utulsa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1395&context=tlr

John Se

When I approached a selling consultant. He disclosed the percentage of existing/prospective buyers race to attract the closing. As per law, can the real selling consultant disclose the % of race?
What is a selling consultant? What is the Real selling consultant?

I guess you were the buyer, did you buy the house, what did the sellers agent say or put in writing?

Have you been damaged somehow?

quincy

What is a selling consultant? What is the Real selling consultant? ...
"Selling consultants" are not uncommon in European countries. The consultants are used most commonly by investors rather than typical home buyers.

I assume that the real estate consultant hired by NCDude advised NCDude on the real estate market in the North Carolina area where he was looking to buy. The information offered can include real estate trends in a given area (who is buying, where they are buying, why they are buying, how they are buying). The consultants do not generally involve themselves in the direct sales of property.

NCDude

Thank you for your responses

Was away due to personal reasons and sorry for the delayed responses

When I approached the selling consultant and inquired about the homes to buy. We asked nothing about race. He just disclosed around 40 homes in this community are of this XX race. Without asking anything on the race and he seem to simply used the race card to attract felt me think it is illegal.

adjusterjack

"Selling consultants" are not uncommon in European countries. The consultants are used most commonly by investors rather than typical home buyers.
I think "selling consultant" is just a euphemism for real estate agent or broker. I looked up real estate selling consultants in NC and came up with dozens in one city, all of whom were licensed real estate agents and/or brokers.

quincy

I think "selling consultant" is just a euphemism for real estate agent or broker. I looked up real estate selling consultants in NC and came up with dozens in one city, all of whom were licensed real estate agents and/or brokers.
I agree that NCDude may be using "selling consultant" in a way different than states define the term. NCDude might be referring to his real estate agent/broker as a selling consultant.

States generally require that both real estate agents and selling consultants hold a state real estate license, but the jobs of the agent/broker and the consultant are generally quite different. The first helps a buyer/seller purchase or sell a property and the second helps someone (generally an investor) make a decision on the purchase or sale of property based on market trends (and other factors) in the area.

A purchaser/investor looking to buy property for a grocery store might hire a consultant to research the needs of a particular area. The information gathered can (and usually will) include census data. If the proposed grocery store is geared toward a specific ethnic population, for example, the investor may be looking to purchase property where there is an existing demonstrated market for the foods or the investor may be looking to purchase property where there is a demand but no other grocery stores of its type existing. The racial or ethnic makeup of an area can be an important determiner in what property to buy.

A real estate agent or broker is hired (generally on a commission basis) to show or sell property based on a purchasers wants or needs. An agent/broker can run afoul of the law if only certain properties are shown based on a buyer/seller's race or ethnicity (or gender, etc).

The answer to NCDude's question can depend on what exactly his purpose is/was in hiring the "consultant" and why the consultant disclosed what he did.

Last edited:

NCDude

Actually the selling consultant here is the employee of the builder. That is their job title. We raised nothing about the demographics or race but still the sales agent disclosed and seem to take some advantage of it.

quincy

Actually the selling consultant here is the employee of the builder. That is their job title. We raised nothing about the demographics or race but still the sales agent disclosed and seem to take some advantage of it.
So the employee's job title, in other words, has nothing to do with being a selling consultant. What advantage has been taken?

NCDude

like best place to buy a home.

quincy

like best place to buy a home.
Okay. You might want to have facts reviewed personally by a lawyer in your area. I am not seeing any advantage that has been taken or what the employee gained by his disclosure.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">