• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seller needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

melissaa

selling a condo in michigan home inspection clause was included in purchase agreement. does buyer need special permission to conduct radon test where a unti is left in home 48hrs? i never agreed to radon test and one is being done

HomeGuru

The test is being done for your own good. Let it be done. Hopefully there will be no or low levels of radon gas.

M

melissaa

i am the seller not the buyer. the buyer is conducting on my property and did not obtain permision.

HomeGuru

melissaa said:
i am the seller not the buyer. the buyer is conducting on my property and did not obtain permision.
My response: I know. I read your post the first time in which your first sentence was, "sellng a condo".
Stop you wimpering and read the seller disclosure laws.
Like the charcoal cannister and the monitor is really hurting you. Get with the program man. You could be sued if you sold the property with high levels of radon gas if you did not disclose this fact or if you refused to have a radon test done. Do you even know what radon is? Check out www.epa.gov and search radon and radon gas.

M

melissaa

yeah, i know what disclosure laws are and yeah i know what radon is. that was not my original question. refer to question
you only have to disclose if you have knowledge. if you have two buyers, and one wants the test and the other does not mind, you would go with the one who would not requie the test as long as you had no knowledge.
you can't be sued for not having the test done. that is false info....

JETX

Melissaa:

Doing a radon test is a perfectly allowed test procedure and, unless you have a big problem, should be of little or no impact on your pending sale. Especially considering that very little of Michigan is considered to be Zone 1 (greater than 4 pCi/L - picocurries per liter).

In fact, if the radon test does turn up positive, wouldn't it be nice for YOU to know so that you don't endanger you and yours???

From the concerns you have over a simple cannister test, I can't help but believe that you are already aware of the 'radon' results.

Here is a link to a VERY important EPA site discussing the need for Radon testing by the seller or buyer of any existing home.
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/radon/pubs/hmbyguid.html

Now that we have completed the reasons for why a test is recommended (which you have already heard), I will offer the following to your continued request:

"does buyer need special permission to conduct radon test where a unti is left in home 48hrs?"
It depends on the EXACT wording of your contract. Does it say that the buyer has the right to perform an 'inspection'?? If so, and that clause doesn't specifically exempt a radon test, then the buyer has the right to do his 'inspection'. And if you refuse or hinder that 'inspection', the buyer COULD have a justification for rescinding the contract and getting a refund of the earnest money. So, this pretty much comes down to... are you willing to lose the home sale in order to enforce your concern about possible radon???

Last edited:
M

melissaa

thank you for your response. i was not aware of radon testing prior to me coming home and finding a device plugged in to my wall unit and a note stating that sensors have been placed throughout my house to detect movement. i am not aware of the levels but am surprised to find this is acceptable without permission from the seller, especially sensors that have been placed throughout my house. it seems to obtain better complinace it should be explained to the seller.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">