• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller's Tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ARA

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I just recently bought a house and is due for escrow closing in 5 days. Seller's tenant doesn't want to move out, saying that they were only notified 3 weeks ago, and threatening to sue. Do I have the right to evict them in 1 week? Can I demand for them to pay me my actual mortgage (or more) if I make them stay from Jul. 1 to Jul 15????? By the way, the tenant and the seller of the house don't have a written agreement.

FarmerJ

If the seller of the house has no written rental agreement Insist that your closing be moved or delayed and that the seller write a eviction letter imediately . with no written agreement the renter In most places 30 days notice to vacate and If you purchase the home your going to have to do the same thing . http://www.taxyear.com/tenants/evictlaw.html http://www.mv.com/ipusers/nhpoa/caevict.htm google .com search features came up with these . Last do consult with a attorney to make sure you can get this done right .

HomeGuru

ARA said:
What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I just recently bought a house and is due for escrow closing in 5 days. Seller's tenant doesn't want to move out, saying that they were only notified 3 weeks ago, and threatening to sue.

**A: they have a right to sue because they were not given proper written notice that their m/m lease was terminated.
Do I have the right to evict them in 1 week?

**A: no, read the applicable L/T laws.
Can I demand for them to pay me my actual mortgage (or more) if I make them stay from Jul. 1 to Jul 15????? By the way, the tenant and the seller of the house don't have a written agreement.
**A: what does your contract state? There should be a section on rental status, lease agreement, occupancy etc.

A

ARA

NO CONTRACT

I spoke to the seller and the tenant and they both admitted there was no contract/lease from the start. THey were notified 3 weeks ago, and by the time we close the escrow it will be "a month notice". Problem is, seller is renting this property for $900, and i would have to pay $1550 mortgage. When tenant spoke to seller about an extention, seller told tenant to speak to the "new owner". My husband and I are just renting a room and it's really a hassle. Is there anything I can do about this?

HomeGuru

Re: NO CONTRACT

ARA said:
I spoke to the seller and the tenant and they both admitted there was no contract/lease from the start. THey were notified 3 weeks ago, and by the time we close the escrow it will be "a month notice". Problem is, seller is renting this property for $900, and i would have to pay $1550 mortgage. When tenant spoke to seller about an extention, seller told tenant to speak to the "new owner". My husband and I are just renting a room and it's really a hassle. Is there anything I can do about this?
**A: my post referenced a contract and this contract would be the purchase/sale contract not any tenant rental contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">