• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling Mortgage Note to Co-Borrower--Legal or Not ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Frank123456

My wife was the sole heir to her mother's estate. Her mother and an unrelated individual signed a mortgage putting a lien on her house. After my mother-in-law passed away, we personally made payments, as well as the estate and the co-borrower, on the note. The North Carolina bank sold my mother-in-law's (deceased) mortgage to the Co-borrower on the note. The bank did not provide us the 15 day notification as required on the signed "Servicing Disclosure" contract. The co-borrower also didn't give us any notice of his purchase of the note. The Co-borrower then attempted to foreclose on us about 30 days later. The bank's excuse was that the Co-borrower was not considered by them to be a "servicer", therefore they didn't have to notify us.

Isn't the banks' actions illegal? Wouldn't the Co-borrower have been the new 'Servicer'? Thanks for your comments. Respond here and copy to my e-mail if you would please… [email protected]

HomeGuru

There is more to this story than what you posted and there are some complex issues to deal with. Hence, you need to hire a real estate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">