• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

septic system is on neighbor's land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oldhouseman

My girlfriend and I bought a home together in the country six years ago in Maryland. Our property line is close to the house on one side. Now we find out that our septic system is on the adjoining property owner's land!
Do we have recourse against the real estate agent or former owners who sold us the house? The Sewage Reserved Area (SRA)was clearly shown to be on our property on the plat we received when we purchased the house. Further, the adjoining property owner wants to develop the land next to us that the septic system is on. Does that restrict his ability to develop the land? Do we have to pay for a new septic system? Help!

T

Tracey

You need to talk to a real estate attorney about adverse possession, failure to disclose, easements, licenses, etc. To sue seller, you'll have to prove S knew of the encroachment but didn't disclose it. If S was relying on an old & inaccurate survey, S may be protected.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">