• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

septic vs. city sewer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SueNorth

What is the name of your state?

I live in New Mexico. We recently purchased a home and only today were told by a neighbor that we are on septic and not city sewer.

This was not disclosed to us by the seller. What recourse do we have?

We expressly did not want property on septic systems.:mad:

HomeGuru

SueNorth said:
What is the name of your state?

I live in New Mexico. We recently purchased a home and only today were told by a neighbor that we are on septic and not city sewer.

This was not disclosed to us by the seller. What recourse do we have?

We expressly did not want property on septic systems.

**A: then why did you not check with the county to verify what type of sewage system the property had?

S

SueNorth

The real estate listing showed city utilities, our real estate agent was told it was city utilities. It is in the city limits in a up-scale neighborhood.

HomeGuru

SueNorth said:
The real estate listing showed city utilities, our real estate agent was told it was city utilities. It is in the city limits in a up-scale neighborhood.

**A: that does not answer my question.

E

Ex Is Nuts

What exactly is wrong with a septic tank anyway? Having lived with both septic and public utilities, I personally prefer a septic system.

HomeGuru

Ex Is Nuts said:
What exactly is wrong with a septic tank anyway? Having lived with both septic and public utilities, I personally prefer a septic system.

**A: that was not the point of discussion. And I am sure that no gives a crap about your personal preference.

Last edited:

Souix

SueNorth said:

Hi Sue~

Each listing printout from MLS should say at the bottom "This Information is Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed". Its just the standard language. I have learned from past transactions that the listing agent cannot be held liable because of this. So you should have had an inspection while you were in escrow that would have shown you what type of system the home had. The burden of proof was on your shoulders as you were the one who "specifically" did not want a septic system.

Souix

Ex Is Nuts said:

Even though this has nothing to do with the original post, I can answer this one. There are many reasons why people don't want a septic system.

1. They have to be pumped every 3-5 years
2. If tree roots are by the drainfields or other pipes, it will plug up the system and plumbers have to be called yearly because of this.
3. You have to be very careful with what you put into the system. i.e. dish and laundry detergents, cleaning solutions, no garbage disposals should be in the home.
4. Drainfeilds can leak or cause problems creating the expense of having to install a new system at a cost of around $2,000 to $4,000 in my neck of the woods, not to mention having to dig up the yard to do so.
5. Septic tanks don't last forever.
6. And the list goes on and on.

We have a septic system also.

*****To the original writer. Now that you know you have a septic system you should have it pumped and inspected. I make a recommendation to all my clients that they do this as the flora will change with new families.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">