• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sewer Easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaredgordon

What is the name of your state? California

I own property in the city of El Cerrito, in the county of Costra Costa. There is a registered sewer easement through my property. A new home is being built on another street above my property. Does the builder of that home have a right to attach to the sewer on my property? Is there a way to prevent that? The easement is at least 20 years old.

FarmerJ

Carefully re read the easement . If the language is so vague or you dont understand it by all means seek a local atty and ask to have it reviewed .

HomeGuru

jaredgordon said:
What is the name of your state? California

I own property in the city of El Cerrito, in the county of Costra Costa. There is a registered sewer easement through my property. A new home is being built on another street above my property. Does the builder of that home have a right to attach to the sewer on my property?

**A: who is the easement in favor of? If it is the municipality that is responsible for wastewater management, then verify if the builder got their approval.

Is there a way to prevent that? The easement is at least 20 years old.
**A: contact the easement beneficiary.

J

jaredgordon

My thanks to all who tried to answer my question. The answer is really quite simple -- the existing easement is for the beneficiary only (in this case, the sewer district). They have the right to maintain and repair the sewer as well. Any new attachment, however, requires a new easement.

HomeGuru

jaredgordon said:
My thanks to all who tried to answer my question. The answer is really quite simple -- the existing easement is for the beneficiary only (in this case, the sewer district). They have the right to maintain and repair the sewer as well. Any new attachment, however, requires a new easement.
**A: then you answered your own question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">