• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sewer Line Damage/Sinking Sidewalks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmrtinca

Central California home was purchased in 1994. June of 2000, the clay lateral line from the front yard cleanout to the city sewer hookup backed up-MAJOR!! Contacted homeowner's insurance, who sent an agent here to witness the inspection by a local plumber (they also paid for the inspection!) Was advised the insurance covered to the lateral line, the lateral line under the street to the city hookup was the homeowner's responsibility.
Results of the camera inspection found, in the opinion of the plumber, the lateral was mis-aligned and back-sloping due to improper soil compaction during construction. This opinion can also be supposed by looking at the sidewalk, which is now sloping toward the property and has sunk approx. 2" below the driveway surface. The City claims this is not their problem, I am responsible for damages to the center of the street. It was of the opinion of the claims agent the City may be responsible because they OK'd compaction inspection during construction.
I was also informed the builder is responsible for defective construction for up to 10 years.
In July, I sent a letter with copies of the plumbing and insurance company's findings to the builder and have not received a reply. What are my rights under CA law and how should I proceed? Do I hire a contactor to get the necessary permits to tear up the street and sidewalk to make the repairs than sue the builder and City for costs? What can I do at this point?

H

HomeGuru1

Since you need the work completed, you must complete the work for health reasons and also to mitigate further damages. You then have the option of paying for the cost or litigating against the City, builder, engineer and other parties to reimburse you for the related costs to correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">