• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sewer Responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matt k

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
My wife and I own our home. This past summer the sewer in our house started backing up. We rented a sewer snake and attempted to clean the sewer line leading to the latteral. The latteral is the part of the sewer system that connects the building sewer to the sewer main under the street. The latteral normaly begins at the curb line and in this case travels 15 to 20 feet under the street to the sewer main. Being unsucessful, we called the local sewer authority. They put a camera in our line and ran it to the latteral. They informed us the latteral was filled with tree roots and it would be up to us to replace it. This includes removing and replacing curbs, digging up and repairing the street, and paying them for a permit to do what i concider to be thier work. To what extent are my wife and I responsible for? If any one else has delt with this, what was the out come?

rcb863

normally the owner's responsibility stops at the property line

contact your local city officials

HomeGuru

matt k said:
What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
My wife and I own our home. This past summer the sewer in our house started backing up. We rented a sewer snake and attempted to clean the sewer line leading to the latteral. The latteral is the part of the sewer system that connects the building sewer to the sewer main under the street. The latteral normaly begins at the curb line and in this case travels 15 to 20 feet under the street to the sewer main. Being unsucessful, we called the local sewer authority. They put a camera in our line and ran it to the latteral. They informed us the latteral was filled with tree roots and it would be up to us to replace it. This includes removing and replacing curbs, digging up and repairing the street, and paying them for a permit to do what i concider to be thier work. To what extent are my wife and I responsible for? If any one else has delt with this, what was the out come?
**A: tell "they" to give you a copy of the city ordinance that requires a homeowner to repair a root clogged sewer line under a city street.

HomeGuru said:
**A: tell "they" to give you a copy of the city ordinance that requires a homeowner to repair a root clogged sewer line under a city street.
Then:

After "they" give you this same copy of the city ordinance, post it here.

This, I GOTTA see. :)

rcb863 said:
normally the owner's responsibility stops at the property line

contact your local city officials
I was just curious about whether any of the local city officials running the camera down the sewer line, thought to contact the local city officials?

Or, did our OP fail to contact the local city officials who performed the camera search of the sewer line?

rcb863

sewer line

The sewer dept. may take a request from City Council to investigate further.

If I fail to get a straight answer from sewer workers...I go to the top.

HomeGuru

rcb863 said:
The sewer dept. may take a request from City Council to investigate further.

If I fail to get a straight answer from sewer workers...I go to the top.
**A: ok, don't take any crap.

HomeGuru said:
**A: ok, don't take any crap.
You know HG, you have once again went right to the root of the problem.

The OP's entire concern is nothing other than trying to "give" the city, crap in the first place. :)

HomeGuru

Yup, in this case, the city deserves crap.
New Batman episode.

Robin: Holy sh*t Batman, the battoilet is backing up.
Batman: ok boy wonder, let's use my batcamera to see what the problem is.
Robin: Hey Batman, I don't see a thing. The batcave sewer lines look clear.
Batman: ok Robin, let's check it again. Give another flush.
FLUSH! GURGLE! WHAM! POW!...........
Robin: Holy crap Batman, the battoilet is backfiring.
Batman: No sh*t boy wonder. We have a serious problem. Maybe the Riddler can help.
Riddler: Hahaha, Batman. I knew you were full of it. Ok, here it is: what goes in and what comes out?
Robin: that's a crappy riddle RIddler. The Joker and the Penguin do better.
Batman: Robin, stop farting around clean up this mess.
Robin: well Batman, that's how the mess all started. From me farting around.
Batman: look again Robin, into the batvideocamera, I see huge roots and other crap in the sewer lines. I thought I even saw a 1500 lb. alligator.
Robin: you sure it's not Catwoman practicing her yoga again?
Batman: it seems like the Gotham City sewer lines need cleaning once and for all.
Robin: time to call Roto-Rooter man?
Batman: precisely boy Wonder.
Robin: I just love those super heroes in tights.

End of scene #1.

#############################

You Are Guilty

HomeGuru said:
Robin: Holy crap Batman, the battoilet is backfiring.
Batman: No sh*t boy wonder. We have a serious problem.
Point of Procedure:
If it's backfiring but there's no $hit, do we really have a serious problem?

What would Nietzsche or Sartre say?

You Are Guilty said:
What would Nietzsche or Sartre say?
There is no satire in Sartre YAG, everyone knows that. To say different would be total Bull-Nietzche.

HomeGuru said:
Robin: I just love those super heroes in tights.
If this is one of those "breakaway" moments where all seems lost.

We may just need to place the call to him who are bullet-proof.

HomeGuru

Florid-aise said:
There is no satire in Sartre YAG, everyone knows that. To say different would be total Bull-Nietzche.

If this is one of those "breakaway" moments where all seems lost.

**A: no, but really really close.

We may just need to place the call to him who are bullet-proof.
**A; is your reference to the man of steel?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">