• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shared Driveway, prescriptive easment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GuitarCharlie

What is the name of your state? California

I have been sharing a driveway with my nextdoor neighbor that has existed for decades. This 70' driveway is more on his property than on mine for the first 30' and then it's pretty even after that. I have owned this house for 7 years and haven't had any problems until recently when I got a new neighbor who had bought the house nextdoor. He wants me to pave over my lawn an additional 6' to make it even. I am am not too excited about this because cars will be driving right next to my house then. He also wants to widen the driveway in order to gain better access to a back lot that he wants to develop. The driveway is at a minimum of 12' and a max of 17'.

Do I have to make changes? What are my chances in court to win?

I am going to have the propert re-surveyed to find out exactly where the property line is but if this driveway has existed for decades as is, do I need to make changes and pave over my front lawn?

Thanks for the help!

Charlie

HomeGuru

GuitarCharlie said:
What is the name of your state? California

I have been sharing a driveway with my nextdoor neighbor that has existed for decades. This 70' driveway is more on his property than on mine for the first 30' and then it's pretty even after that. I have owned this house for 7 years and haven't had any problems until recently when I got a new neighbor who had bought the house nextdoor. He wants me to pave over my lawn an additional 6' to make it even. I am am not too excited about this because cars will be driving right next to my house then. He also wants to widen the driveway in order to gain better access to a back lot that he wants to develop. The driveway is at a minimum of 12' and a max of 17'.

Do I have to make changes? What are my chances in court to win?

I am going to have the propert re-surveyed to find out exactly where the property line is but if this driveway has existed for decades as is, do I need to make changes and pave over my front lawn?

Thanks for the help!

Charlie
**A: when you get your survey, write back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">