• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shed off property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wendigdwl

What is the name of your state?NJ
Just wondering if anyone knows if I have any type of recourse here...moved into house 15 years ago...backyard backs up to utility right of way (about 40 feet wide)---property behind yard was overgrown about 30 feet on my property--we cleared our property and about 15 feet of the "right of way" (brush--weeds--choke cherry trees) to avoid overgrowth back onto our property---overtime, we seeded the area to have nice grass, we mow it, maintain it, chop back the brush that keeps coming back over--about 10 years ago we erected a small shed back there (behind our fence line) as nothing was being done about the area......now the land behind ours (originally a farm) was sold and is being redeveloped---the developer is required to designate a certain amount of acres to be "open space"---now the township wants the shed taken down (even though they have no plan to do anything with the land--they plan to leave it as is---which will require me to still maintain this property so it doesn't overgrow back onto my land. Is there any type of "squatters rights" I may have to keep the shed there (paying a permit fee--anything??) or can the shed be somehow "grandfathered" in to stay there as it has been there so long??? If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

wendigdwl said:
Just wondering if anyone knows if I have any type of recourse here...moved into house 15 years ago...backyard backs up to utility right of way (about 40 feet wide)---property behind yard was overgrown about 30 feet on my property--we cleared our property and about 15 feet of the "right of way" (brush--weeds--choke cherry trees) to avoid overgrowth back onto our property---overtime, we seeded the area to have nice grass, we mow it, maintain it, chop back the brush that keeps coming back over--about 10 years ago we erected a small shed back there (behind our fence line) as nothing was being done about the area......now the land behind ours (originally a farm) was sold and is being redeveloped---the developer is required to designate a certain amount of acres to be "open space"---now the township wants the shed taken down (even though they have no plan to do anything with the land--they plan to leave it as is---which will require me to still maintain this property so it doesn't overgrow back onto my land. Is there any type of "squatters rights" I may have to keep the shed there (paying a permit fee--anything??) or can the shed be somehow "grandfathered" in to stay there as it has been there so long??? If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Move the shed. You have no recourse.

HomeGuru

wendigdwl said:
Just wondering if anyone knows if I have any type of recourse here...moved into house 15 years ago...backyard backs up to utility right of way (about 40 feet wide)---property behind yard was overgrown about 30 feet on my property--we cleared our property and about 15 feet of the "right of way" (brush--weeds--choke cherry trees) to avoid overgrowth back onto our property---overtime, we seeded the area to have nice grass, we mow it, maintain it, chop back the brush that keeps coming back over--about 10 years ago we erected a small shed back there (behind our fence line) as nothing was being done about the area......now the land behind ours (originally a farm) was sold and is being redeveloped---the developer is required to designate a certain amount of acres to be "open space"---now the township wants the shed taken down (even though they have no plan to do anything with the land--they plan to leave it as is---

**A: your post is so very musch one-sided. You see, you did not get permission to build the shed on the property in the first place. So the shed was not allowed and is still not allowed to be there.

which will require me to still maintain this property so it doesn't overgrow back onto my land.

**A: no, you are not required to maintain this property. The developer owns the property so demand that they keep it clear.

Is there any type of "squatters rights" I may have to keep the shed there (paying a permit fee--anything??) or can the shed be somehow "grandfathered" in to stay there as it has been there so long??? If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.
**A: no and no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">