• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sheriff Sale of Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Liz Reed

YOUR STATE NAME - Pennsylvania
In 1995 I had a house that was sold at a Sheriff sale (because of non-payment to the mortgage company). I just found out that over $7,000 is on my credit report because of this sale. Why? Am I suppose to pay this? I thought the purpose of the Sheriff's sale was to pay the mortgage company and cost associated with the sale. Please help.

HomeGuru

Liz Reed said:
YOUR STATE NAME - Pennsylvania
In 1995 I had a house that was sold at a Sheriff sale (because of non-payment to the mortgage company). I just found out that over $7,000 is on my credit report because of this sale. Why? Am I suppose to pay this? I thought the purpose of the Sheriff's sale was to pay the mortgage company and cost associated with the sale. Please help.
**A: you are correct and in your case the mortgage and foreclosure costs exceeded the foreclosure sales price so there was a balance still owed by you. This $7000 was entered as a deficiency judgement against you. You still owe the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">