• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

she's holding my stuff hostage-IA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IAgirl

I moved in with a friend June 1st of 2000, everything was fine at first. Because of mistakes in my tax forms, I didnt get a paycheck the last two weeks in June and was low on cash for rent, she loaned me $60 for part of my rent, and was agreed that I would pay her back in a week when I got paid. She kicked me out the day I had gotten paid, she claimed that I owed her $400 in utilities for our 2 bedroom apt. no way, she kicked me out and due to upcoming events in my family life, she agreed to let me keep my stuff their for a few weeks while i found a new place to live. she narrowed it down to $250 in utilities, minus the $60 for rent, that means for my half of the utilities for June, I'm paying $190, thats not possible for those apts. i am now sleeping on my moms couch, my belongings are still at her place, about 3 weeks after i was kicked out, i tried calling but her phone was diconnected, i tried calling every day for two more weeks and it was never reconnected so i tried stopping over maybe once a week, she never answered the door. now she calls me and tells me that she is moving and to come get my stuff, i called to try and get my friends truck, and the only day i got enough people to help was a week later, she calls me a few nights later at work, and tells me that she is charging my $300 for storing my things. There was no agreement or antyhing, I had tried to get ahold of her, but her phone is disconnected. I should tell you, I did give her $200 of the $250 she claims I owe her for one month of utilities, and said when she shows me the bills I will pay her the rest, she never showed me the bills. So when I show up to move my things she wont let me in, I called the cops, and now I have to sue her to get my stuff back!! its not fair, she's now moving and I am concerned that my stuff will come up lost or damaged. what do i do now??

P

peter

This will teach you a Valuble Lesson in Life Skills....

NOTHING get agreed to on the phone......you should have been at her house ASAP and refued to leave until you got your stuff

UH dont your parents have a car? UH cant you get a bus or a taxi?

UH once week how about every day and refuse to leave......

What was so important in YOUR LIFE that you could only go there once a week.

So go over there and as she is taking stuff out take yours.....geez

T

Tracey

Call the cops and arrange to have them come with you to pick up your stuff. Have the landlord meet you there with a key. It would be best ot do this when she's at work. She can't charge you storage fees when she won't allow you to get your stuff. If the cops won't go with you, get an emergency injunction/restraining order requiring her to be at the apt on x day at y time and allow you to remove ALL your belongings 'without hinderance'.

Alternatively, you can call/write her & tell her you will be there at a certain day & time to get your stuff, & if she doesn't let you remove your stuff, you'll file a theft complaint against her. Then do it. (The cops will try to talk you out of it, but stand fast. You have a right to file charges.)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited September 25, 2000).]

I

IAgirl

I already spoke to the cops that day, since I am not on the lease anymore, they cannot let me in her apt. without her permission. The cop told me that all he can do is tell me to press charges against her which I have already done. I went to the courthouse and filed a suit, but it's gonna take about 3 months until we can get into court.

I do have a pick up and a van that can carry everything out of the apt. No matter how much I badger her, it wont matter, she is stubborn and wants money from me. I cannot walk into her apt. and take my stuff, that is called breaking and entering. She can call the cops and they will take me to jail for entering into her apt and taking stuff out of it.

I work at a nightclub, and see cops every night, I plan on asking for their advice. Since I am so friendly with them, and cooperative, maybe their is something they can do to help me out, whether it's advice or a loophole that can make this all go faster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">