• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should landlord provide doors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarrieJHagelberg

I recently moved into a 4 bedroom apartment. Originally, 2 of the bedrooms had french doors. Apparently, the former tenants, bitter about being evicted, broke all the glass out and the landlord threw the doors away, since the cost of buying new panes is huge. Now, the 2 largest bedrooms, both off the living room, have 8 foot openings...no privacy at all. This is a 9 room apartment and their are only 2 doors inside (the bathroom and the smallest bedroom). There are not even closet doors...all doors were removed. I feel like we're camping here. I am expecting a baby next month and we all need privacy. Is the landlord responsible to provide these doors? I live in Massachusetts. It's like living in a furniture store!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CarrieJHagelberg:
I recently moved into a 4 bedroom apartment. Originally, 2 of the bedrooms had french doors. Apparently, the former tenants, bitter about being evicted, broke all the glass out and the landlord threw the doors away, since the cost of buying new panes is huge. Now, the 2 largest bedrooms, both off the living room, have 8 foot openings...no privacy at all. This is a 9 room apartment and their are only 2 doors inside (the bathroom and the smallest bedroom). There are not even closet doors...all doors were removed. I feel like we're camping here. I am expecting a baby next month and we all need privacy. Is the landlord responsible to provide these doors? I live in Massachusetts. It's like living in a furniture store!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

L is not responsible if you rented the property in that as-is condition. You should have specified in the lease agreement that L is to provide doors (within 30 days) to the following rooms and provide a listing of the rooms. Talk to L, maybe L can spring for cheaper doors.

C

CarrieJHagelberg

The last place I lived was in a huge apartment complex. We got a list of things the landlord was responsible for, and it stated that "doors to all bedrooms listed in lease must contain working door knobs in good order." So does this mean that in Massachusetts they have to provide door knobs but are under no obligation to provide doors?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CarrieJHagelberg:
The last place I lived was in a huge apartment complex. We got a list of things the landlord was responsible for, and it stated that "doors to all bedrooms listed in lease must contain working door knobs in good order." So does this mean that in Massachusetts they have to provide door knobs but are under no obligation to provide doors?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your specifc situation with the bedroom doors or lack thereof, is not a State L/T issue but a lease provision issue. If it is stated in the lease, L must contractually provide the doors. If it is not stated in the lease, L does not have to provide. With respect to a State law requiring L to provide interior privacy bedroom doors, double check with your State L/T Consumer Protection office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">