• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To shut off or to not shut off utilities...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OceanGirl

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi! I'm hearing conflicting answers to this question and would like your insight.

Scenario:
My brother bought his girlfriend to live with him in his apartment. 7 years later he finally dumps the psycho beast. He had to leave his apt because she refused to leave and made threats against him and moved back in with my parents in the meantime. (court denied restraining order also) Now, being he no longer lives at his apt, is it legal for him to shut off the utilities (light, gas, phone)? I've heard no because being my parents own the home she can try to sue my parents, but heard it is not a problem because he no longer lives there, the landlords don't pay utilities, and she should not be living for free! I can't believe how demented people can be! :eek:

Thanks for any advice!

B

blameshifting

OceanGirl said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi! I'm hearing conflicting answers to this question and would like your insight.

Scenario:
My brother bought his girlfriend to live with him in his apartment. 7 years later he finally dumps the psycho beast. He had to leave his apt because she refused to leave and made threats against him and moved back in with my parents in the meantime. (court denied restraining order also) Now, being he no longer lives at his apt, is it legal for him to shut off the utilities (light, gas, phone)? I've heard no because being my parents own the home she can try to sue my parents, but heard it is not a problem because he no longer lives there, the landlords don't pay utilities, and she should not be living for free! I can't believe how demented people can be! :eek:

Thanks for any advice!
How much did you brother pay for her? It took seven years to figure out she was a pyscho?

Are the utilities in your brother's name?

Your brother/parents need to consult with an attorney for the proper way to evict someone, turning off the utilities could have negative consequences.

O

OceanGirl

Everything is in my brothers name. She was nice but jealousy got the best of her in the end and her psycho side came out of the bushes. We do have a court date for eviction next week. I just wanted to make her stay there as uncomfortable as possible. I'll just wait for court. I don't want to stir up any trouble. She's already angry about the eviction notice!!! That's enough for me! :D

O

OceanGirl

HomeGuru, can you please tell me why it's illegal?? I don't understand at all.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">