• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sick of neighbors and landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rsandlin

I live in Topeka, KS.

I am completely fed up with my neighbors who live in the apartments across the alley from my apartment and their landlord. The neighbors are constantly (daily) playing loud, obnoxious music, I have hookers and pimps hanging out in the alley between my apartment and their apartment, the police are constantly responding to violent assaults between my neighbors, making drug busts, etc., not to mention all of the times I have called the police myself to make noise complaints or report a disturbance. The police officers I have spoken to have told me that they have not made enough arrests in the last few months to make a case to a judge in order to force my neighbors to leave. The police officers also stated that there are no code violations on the properties, and that when the police spoke to the landlord, the landlord stated that my neighbors were "model tenants" and that the landlord refused to evict my neighbors. Additionally, many of the valid charges that the police have used to arrest the violent neighbors end up being dropped because the combatants make up and no longer wish to press charges. However, the threat of violence is perhaps the most severe "nuisance", because one of my other neighbors who lives in my building (owned by a different landlord) and is a REAL model tenant was recently attacked in the alley and nearly killed.

Basically, the police won't/can't do anything aside from occassional arrests and warnings, and the landlord is completely apathetic and won't do anything. Aside from taking my neighbors to small claims court, what can I do to address this problem? Specifically, is there anything I can do to force the landlord to evict my neighbors, or at least hold him responsible for the problems I have to deal with on a daily basis? Also, what resources are available for me to find out the name of the landlord and a contact phone #? Any information that anyone can provide to assist me with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

HomeGuru

rsandlin said:
I live in Topeka, KS.

I am completely fed up with my neighbors who live in the apartments across the alley from my apartment and their landlord. The neighbors are constantly (daily) playing loud, obnoxious music, I have hookers and pimps hanging out in the alley between my apartment and their apartment, the police are constantly responding to violent assaults between my neighbors, making drug busts, etc., not to mention all of the times I have called the police myself to make noise complaints or report a disturbance. The police officers I have spoken to have told me that they have not made enough arrests in the last few months to make a case to a judge in order to force my neighbors to leave. The police officers also stated that there are no code violations on the properties, and that when the police spoke to the landlord, the landlord stated that my neighbors were "model tenants" and that the landlord refused to evict my neighbors. Additionally, many of the valid charges that the police have used to arrest the violent neighbors end up being dropped because the combatants make up and no longer wish to press charges. However, the threat of violence is perhaps the most severe "nuisance", because one of my other neighbors who lives in my building (owned by a different landlord) and is a REAL model tenant was recently attacked in the alley and nearly killed.

Basically, the police won't/can't do anything aside from occassional arrests and warnings, and the landlord is completely apathetic and won't do anything. Aside from taking my neighbors to small claims court, what can I do to address this problem? Specifically, is there anything I can do to force the landlord to evict my neighbors, or at least hold him responsible for the problems I have to deal with on a daily basis? Also, what resources are available for me to find out the name of the landlord and a contact phone #? Any information that anyone can provide to assist me with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

**A: are you a US citizen and do you vote?

R

rsandlin

of course in case you didn't notice my message says i live in topeka kansas

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Originally posted by rsandlin

"i live in topeka kansas . . ."

==================================

My response:

Oh, so you ARE a foreigner.

IAAL

HomeGuru

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Originally posted by rsandlin

"i live in topeka kansas . . ."

==================================

My response:

Oh, so you ARE a foreigner from the land of OZ.

FarmerJ

What stops you from voting with your feet and finding a new place to live at the end of your lease and moving ? If it seems that the police or the other buildings LL cannot do any thing then consider moving you know you might even find something that suits your needs even better But you wont know untill you at least start looking .

R

rsandlin

Why should I allow my neighbors to force me out of my own home? I am constantly looking for a new place to live, but until my financial situation improves and I can find a decent place, this is by far the best place for me to live. Besides, regardless of where I choose to live, that does not change the fact that I am guaranteed the right to be free from harrassment. Would you tell a woman who was being sexually harrassed at her workplace to just simply "find a new job"? It doesn't work like that, and it's people that give up like that in the face of adversity that encourage people like my neighbors to run rampant all over my neighborhood without consequences. Don't get me wrong, I would love to find a new place to live, but I refuse to allow my neighbors to factor into my decision as to where I choose to live.

FarmerJ

well If the owner of the nieghboring property is not able to change any thing. Perhaps that property needs special attn ? call the media call the newspaper call rev Phelps do what you need to to draw attn to the building as long as you dont break any laws to get others to agree its become a nuisance property

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">