• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Significant Other Won't Leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drama_free5472

I live in NY. Recently engaged and my fiance moved into my apartment. Subsequently, due to outrageous behavior and a failure to contribute to the rent and other household costs, I broke off the engagement and asked him to move out. Want him to leave, but he states that according to law I can't just "throw him out"; that he has been there more than 30 days. Gave him a verbal notice on 8/23/09 that I want him out within a month and that he can no longer stay. What is the legal amount of days notice that I am requred to give him to get out? Want to give him a formal notarized letter giving notice, but I am unsure of the exact amount of time that I am required to give him by law. Please help.

-Feeling Uncomfortable In My Own Home, NY

HomeGuru

I live in NY. Recently engaged and my fiance moved into my apartment. Subsequently, due to outrageous behavior and a failure to contribute to the rent and other household costs, I broke off the engagement and asked him to move out. Want him to leave, but he states that according to law I can't just "throw him out"; that he has been there more than 30 days. Gave him a verbal notice on 8/23/09 that I want him out within a month and that he can no longer stay. What is the legal amount of days notice that I am requred to give him to get out? Want to give him a formal notarized letter giving notice, but I am unsure of the exact amount of time that I am required to give him by law. Please help.

-Feeling Uncomfortable In My Own Home, NY
**A: search the landlord tenant law and follow it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">