• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing off a deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brgreg

I live in Michigan an in 1997 my father died upon his death he had my sister and I added on to the deed of my parents house,my mother now wants us to sign off the deed, which is ok her and my father owned the home not us kids,so my question is because I am married does my wife have to sign off her rights to the house,we are not selling just signing off my mothers name is on the deed as well,she will now just be the sole owner of the estate.

HomeGuru

I live in Michigan an in 1997 my father died upon his death he had my sister and I added on to the deed of my parents house,my mother now wants us to sign off the deed, which is ok her and my father owned the home not us kids,so my question is because I am married does my wife have to sign off her rights to the house,we are not selling just signing off my mothers name is on the deed as well,she will now just be the sole owner of the estate.
**A: yes, your wife needs to sign.

re;guru

Why would the wife have to sign when the wifes name was never on the property? Why can't the kids who are, just sign a quit claim deed?

FlyingRon

This is exactly the case that Quit Claims are for. It assures the title company that the wife has no hidden or pending interest in the house. She can make the release without any warranty that she ever had such an interest. I could write you a quit claim on that property as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">