• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

situation has gotten worse...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amy & Jon

okay I told you about problems with tenant that she hasn't paid rent for the past two months. Now we have a lawyer. who wants to make a deal with her that complies to her terms in the first place.

okay now it is past the grace period so we are tacking on another late fee of $40.00 and want the money now... certified so she can't stop payment on check again.

Since for so god knows reason when we signed the lease we did not write a letter telling tenant where deposit was our terms are discrimanated and mean nothing. Why does that make it right/ or disclude her to payrestofrents due till lease expires. Yes we can go after her for that but would take longer to get her out... and why does not useing security to pay rent considered not an option in the beginning and when it coems to the end they can use it??

------------------
Amy Gramlich

D

David J. Miller

You did? Where and when?. If you want a reply maybe you should go back to your original question and at the bottom left, click on "post reply" then re-type your question. The attorney's on this sight do not have the time to search posts to try and peace together your entire situtation. (smile)

[This message has been edited by David J. Miller (edited October 12, 2000).]

T

Tracey

You have to keep the security deposit in a separate account. You can't put it in your checking account. I didn't see anything in the MD statute that indicates you have to tell T where the funds are deposited, or that you can't take the rent out of the deposit as it becomes due. In fact, since you have to pay T interest on the deposit, it makes sense to deduct rent as it comes due, so T can't be late with rent AND collect interest on the deposit. There must be case law saying you have to wait until she's out to deduct rent from the deposit. You can read the security deposit law in MD Code, Real Property, Title 8-203. It gives you all the time limits & procedures you have to follow.

All I found in the statute was a section saying that if you didn't give her a receipt for the deposit or explain her rights, you owe her $25. Why does your lawyer think you have to disclose the location of the funds? If you have to disclose the location of the deposit funds, do it now.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">