• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Skipped Tenants in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KBeth

I have a current lease (ends on December 31, 2000) with an unmarried couple, which both signed the lease. I found out today that they have moved out of this home without any notice to myself, the home owner/landlord. It is my understanding that they have not completely moved out all of their things. They have paid this months rent (may bounce, hasn't cleared), but am in need of knowing what recourse can I take immediately before month end, if any. For example, can I get the locks changed, clean up the place, etc., or do I need to wait a certain period of time as this couple may have paid until October end.

In addition to the early lease termination of November and December rent, I do not know the extent of damage incurred by this couple.

Please help; we do not have alot of money to spare and need to get this rented. I am trying not to lose faith in honest and caring people..

Thank you.....

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KBeth:
I have a current lease (ends on December 31, 2000) with an unmarried couple, which both signed the lease. I found out today that they have moved out of this home without any notice to myself, the home owner/landlord. It is my understanding that they have not completely moved out all of their things. They have paid this months rent (may bounce, hasn't cleared), but am in need of knowing what recourse can I take immediately before month end, if any. For example, can I get the locks changed, clean up the place, etc., or do I need to wait a certain period of time as this couple may have paid until October end.

In addition to the early lease termination of November and December rent, I do not know the extent of damage incurred by this couple.

Please help; we do not have alot of money to spare and need to get this rented. I am trying not to lose faith in honest and caring people..

Thank you.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can not change the locks or enter the premises until you are positive that the tenants moved out/abandoned the property.

T

Tracey

As long as their rent is current, they haven't abandoned the place. They are allowed to use it as a very expensive storage locker. :) You can't change the locks. However, you can put notice on the door that you're going to enter in 48 hours to inspect the premises. This will let you assess any damages to date. If they don't get the notice because they weren't there, tough. They never gave you a new address, so they don't get notice by mail.

If they are gone for a sufficient time (usually 10-14 days), you can ask a cour to evict them based on them abandoning the premises. When you get a writ of possession, you can toss their stuff on the street & change the locks & charge them for any rent you lose & the cost of new locks.

The PA landlord tenant act is in Real Property, Article 8.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">