• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kaygust

My son, who is a collage student is involved in a small claims dispute over damages to an apartment with which he shared with two other college students. The cost of repairs was over their retention. When he was home on Christmas vacation there were damages to his apartment . He immediately went and reported them to his landlord, but is still named in the claim. What should he do. He works summers and has a part time job while attending school in the Law Enforcement Program. Minnesota Mom

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kaygust:
My son, who is a collage student is involved in a small claims dispute over damages to an apartment with which he shared with two other college students. The cost of repairs was over their retention. When he was home on Christmas vacation there were damages to his apartment . He immediately went and reported them to his landlord, but is still named in the claim. What should he do. He works summers and has a part time job while attending school in the Law Enforcement Program. Minnesota Mom
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is he and his roommates still renting the place? How much is owed and did he talk to his roommates about the situation? He may have to use his skills learned in the law enforcement program to get his roomie friends to pay.

K

kaygust

No, he is not living there anymore. They are each to pay another $225. If he didn't do the damage I don't know why he should have to pay it. I am wondering if he should bring character references and witnesses to the fact that he wasn't there when the damages ahppened to court?

K

kaygust

No, he is not living there anymore. They are each to pay another $225. If he didn't do the damage I don't know why he should have to pay it. I am wondering if he should bring character references and witnesses to the fact that he wasn't there when the damages ahppened to court?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kaygust:
No, he is not living there anymore. They are each to pay another $225. If he didn't do the damage I don't know why he should have to pay it. I am wondering if he should bring character references and witnesses to the fact that he wasn't there when the damages ahppened to court?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pay the $225. It is not worth the time to go to court for a day to maybe lose the case.

J

JenniferS

Besides.... if he's on the lease for the apartment, I believe he is responsible. If he can "get out of it" in anyway it would probably be through reimbursement by the ones who caused the damage. If they choose to fight him on it for some reason, say - "they contend they never agreed to be responsible for damages during their stay" then it would be up to him to proove it in someway.
I agree, it's easier to just pay it and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">