• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold our house, now the New Owner is complaining.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grilledcheeze

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

We sold our house in June of 2012. Prior to closing, the new owners had the property inspected by an inspector of their choice as is customary. The inspection came back essentially clean except for a couple very minor issues which were promptly remedied to the buyers' satisfaction. The buyers were also allowed entrance on 2 occasions, once during the initial showing, and again prior to closing to inspect/get measurements/look around.

It is now November and the buyers are attempting to contact me claiming there is a "major mold issue". The issue is supposedly in an area that was inspected and documented in the inspection report. This area is not covered by drywall, flooring, ceiling tiles, or anything else. It is completely visually open. There is no mention of mold anywhere in the report for this area or any other area of the house. At no time did the inspector, any realtors, anybody who went through a showing, the buyers, my family or I ever smell mold either.

When we bought the house, there was no mention of mold in the disclosure. We never had it tested for mold before buying it or listing it, nor ever felt the need to. To my knowledge, the buyers did not have it mold tested prior to closing.

It seems to me that, considering all of this, I shouldn't have any legal concerns. Should I be concerned? Should I contact a lawyer? I now live in a different state. Would I need legal representation in the state the house I sold resides in or the state I currently live in?

What, if anything, should we do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">