• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Split of 50 acres among family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Are you asking what the fractional breakdown would be? You'll have to tell us how many members total there are to get that.
That is not just the only thing. Are there are improvements to property? If so where are they located and what are they worth.

menwh

That is not just the only thing. Are there are improvements to property? If so where are they located and what are they worth.
The property is in Michigan.

Improvements include two driveways and two creek culverts. The land he is requesting has a driveway and a creek culvert. There are 4 other brothers involved.

My main question is, do the remaining four of have a legal right to decide which split he takes? i.e. Will we have to sign the deed giving him ownership of his said portion? I want to know if the rest of us have a leg to stand on (power of signature) as far as what portion he gets? The rest of us all get along extremely well and just want to leave the remaining land as one 40 acre piece as TIC.

menwh

The property is in Michigan.

Improvements include two driveways and two creek culverts. The land he is requesting has a driveway and a creek culvert. Both said would take about $7,500 to replace. There are 4 other brothers involved.

My main question is, do the remaining four of have a legal right to decide which split he takes? i.e. Will we have to sign the deed giving him ownership of his said portion? I want to know if the rest of us have a leg to stand on (power of signature) as far as what portion he gets? The rest of us all get along extremely well and just want to leave the remaining land as one 40 acre piece as TIC.

justalayman

so far, we have:

there are 5 siblings
there is a 50 acre parcel held as TIC
apparently there is 1 sibling that wants the land to be divided and he take some specific portion

none of you have to relinquish anything if you choose not to. Anybody can sue to partition the property through the courts if you choose. If the parties cannot come to an agreed upon division, the land will be sold at auction and the proceeds divided among the parties, after all expenses are taken out of course.

If you all can agree to some division of the property, then you head to the lawyers office to have everything documented properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">