• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatter rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cranda2

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I have a very unusual situation here. I have lived in my current home for about 7 years now, and have never paid any rent. It's a very long, complicated story, but here's a brief rundown.
We moved in with the permission of a property manager who portrayed himself as the owner. When we found out he wasn't the owner, I located the true owner's address and phone number. My spouse and I called her and in the course of the conversation, she disclosed the fact that she grew up in this house and was abused by her stepfather here. She asked about the 'improvements' that she paid to have done ,(new appliances, carpeting,...) We informed her that there was no glass in the front windows when we moved in, in Nov.! My spouse made an agreement with her to do some renovations/improvements in exchange for rent. She said that the time that we had already been here could be considered as her Christmas gift to our family. (A very nice woman!) Anyway, we were supposed to take before and after pictures to send to her, which we did, and I have also left several phone messages for her. She dosn't return our calls. I know that she pays the property taxes every year, but why doesn't she contact us about the rent???
So, my question is this- can someone show up at anytime and tells us that we have to get out? Do we have any legal protection as far as the length of time we've been here, or the improvements that we've made? We would be willing to start paying something for rent or possibly buy the property outright, but we cant get ahold of her!!
Any advise or information would be most helpful.

justalayman

You don't really give a timeframe for this scenario. It simply sounds as if the owner is renting to you with the rent being paid by barter. You are tenants and can be treated as such which means the LL/owner can evict you as prescribed by law at their option.

I woulld suggest sending a CRRR letter to the most recent address you have for the owner in an attempt to clear up you situation.

You have no "squatters rights" (I presume you mean adverse possession claim) due to the fact that the owner has an actual agreement with you concerning rent at this time which makes you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a tenant.

BelizeBreeze

Cranda2 said:
So, my question is this- can someone show up at anytime and tells us that we have to get out?
Yes, if they follow your state's landlord/tenant laws.
Do we have any legal protection as far as the length of time we've been here, or the improvements that we've made?
Nope. Your improvements were in lieu of rent. You are a tenant period with no property rights whatsoever.
We would be willing to start paying something for rent or possibly buy the property outright, but we cant get ahold of her!!
And that is not her problem. You should have gotten her address and/or phone number when you last talked to her or a contact number for a responsible party.

Cranda2

~!

BelizeBreeze said:
Yes, if they follow your state's landlord/tenant laws.

Nope. Your improvements were in lieu of rent. You are a tenant period with no property rights whatsoever.

And that is not her problem. You should have gotten her address and/or phone number when you last talked to her or a contact number for a responsible party.

I did get contact information from her, and have left her several messages. She doesn't return my calls!

I think you may be in contention for the record.
Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth?
Figure out what the rent should be for that house in that area. Open an account & put that amount in it each month.
That is your new house down payment account she is helping you build up.
Squaters rights? Please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">