• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatter`s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julie`shouse

What is the name of your state? UK

I have a house that is under a Compulsory Purchase Order from the local council. the sale has been agreed although no contracts have been exchanged.

Part of the condition of sale was that the property would be vacant on completion. As such our tennant was removed and the house was boarded up. It has now come to our attention that there is a squatter staying over night at the property. Our management company says (though I dont necessarily believe them as we have had issues with them in the past) that they are doing daily checks on the property and they are certain no one is there during the day but that there is definitely someone there at night and that person keeps removing the boarding.

Due to the nature of the area I was unable to get buildings insurance to cover the vacant property. Now i am worried that i am liable if the squatter is injured or if he dmaages the property in any way the sale will not go through despite the area being designated for eventual demolition under the CPO agreement.

I dont know what to do. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

CALIF-LAWPRO16

julie`shouse said:
What is the name of your state? UK

I have a house that is under a Compulsory Purchase Order from the local council. the sale has been agreed although no contracts have been exchanged.

Part of the condition of sale was that the property would be vacant on completion. As such our tennant was removed and the house was boarded up. It has now come to our attention that there is a squatter staying over night at the property. Our management company says (though I dont necessarily believe them as we have had issues with them in the past) that they are doing daily checks on the property and they are certain no one is there during the day but that there is definitely someone there at night and that person keeps removing the boarding.

Due to the nature of the area I was unable to get buildings insurance to cover the vacant property. Now i am worried that i am liable if the squatter is injured or if he dmaages the property in any way the sale will not go through despite the area being designated for eventual demolition under the CPO agreement.

I dont know what to do. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

My response:

I fully realize, and acknowledge, that our language in the USA came from you folks in England. It hasn't changed much over the past couple of centuries for either of us. That's why I'm sure you can read our rules, above, which say: "US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE." (underlining added for emphasis)

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">