• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

todosa

Relatives have moved into my deceased mother's home (now mine) in Alabama. They refuse to pay rent and refuse to leave. (I'm in NY.)I'm getting pretty tired of paying their utility bills. Can I cut services without serious repercussions?

T

Tracey

Yes. You are not their landlord, they are not your tenants. Cancel all utilities and file a criminal trespassing complaint with police. Be sure to send police a copy of the probate order giving you the house & a copy of the recorded deed showing you as the owner, along with a declaration that you never rented to these bozos & want them out. Then take some vacation time & go down to AL & throw their stuff out on the curb & change the locks. If they re-enter after that, you charge them with breaking & entering or burglary. They'll never talk to you again, but you'll have the house back & can rent it to someone who will pay.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">