• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

squatters rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

POP44

What is the name of your state? ca

I posted the notice on possesion rights after reading it does someone have any advice on squatters rights about this situation? The home was abandoned by the builder in 1999 it had never been lived in and I have possesion, it doesn't have a certificate of occupancy and can't be rented or sold without one.

What about possesion being nine tenths of the law? I occupied the home and furnished it, I have lived in it for nine months and have the utilities in my name.

If I don't have those rights isn't there some sort of relief from eviction if someone is destitute?

Lin

HomeGuru

POP44 said:
What is the name of your state? ca

I posted the notice on possesion rights after reading it does someone have any advice on squatters rights about this situation? The home was abandoned by the builder in 1999 it had never been lived in and I have possesion, it doesn't have a certificate of occupancy and can't be rented or sold without one.

**A: I already responded to your post so why are you making another thread?
What about possesion being nine tenths of the law? I occupied the home and furnished it, I have lived in it for nine months and have the utilities in my name.

**A: possession and occupancy issues do not apply in your case.

If I don't have those rights isn't there some sort of relief from eviction if someone is destitute?

Lin

**A: you can file BK to buy you some time but start packing.

R

RandyL712

A house was empty - and you moved in and lived there? Is that correct?

HomeGuru

RandyL712 said:
A house was empty - and you moved in and lived there? Is that correct?

**A: you must read the writer's initial thread to understand the details. The actual circumstances are not as simple as they seem as stated in this thread.

P

POP44

RandyL712

First of all Mr. big shot 'HomeGuru' this is the first time I have used a site like this so if a new thread or whatever bothers you cut some slack to new users.

Secondly, I think I have the right to more than one opinion and having read your answers to other's letters you seem like a very negative, unhelpful and even sarcastic person. I have already gone through bankruptcy and foreclosure. So is it any wonder that I would like a second opinion.

I'm in a very stressful situation and in very poor health and RandyL712 is correct basically the house was empty and I moved in.

So RandyL712 if you need more info from me to be able to offer some advice please let me know.

Lin

R

RandyL712

Let's not turn this into a boxing match, let's just get the facts out:

1) What was the condition of the house when you moved in? (Brand new but unsold and empty, etc)

2) Why did you move in? Did you drive by, see it was empty, and just break open the front door?

3) How long have you been living there?

4) Do you receive mail and bills there?

P

POP44

1) What was the condition of the house when you moved in?
(Brand new but unsold and empty, etc)

Yes, the builder went bankrupt and walked away in 1999 it is in a country club and belongs to them, I think. If it does then I don't understand why they didn't obtain a certificate of occupancy and rent or sell them. Instead they just let them sit here.

2) Why did you move in? Did you drive by, see it was empty, and just break open the front door?

Some jerk duped me into coming here to sell new homes he let me in the home. The new homes never got built and he left.

3) How long have you been living there?

Since March 30th 2002 the country club sold beginning of April same year and no one asked me to leave even though they knew I was here. The new owner of the country club is now in default and there are some other people claiming to have rights to the country club. Because of the dispute over ownership of the club it is now in the hands of a court appointed receiver who is the one enforcing me to leave. If the owner that is in default wins the case I am pretty sure he will let me stay here. But, in the interim I have nowhere to go and the attorney for the bank that holds the first is unsympathetic. There are two other empty ex-models next to me and they aren't doing anything with them.

4) Do you receive mail and bills there?

This town is so small that no one receives mail to their home it all goes to the Post office box. The utilities get mailed there in my name.

R

RandyL712

I believe your only hope is to file for adverse possession, but I don't think it applies to you. In any event, either move or get an attorney, but you have no right to live there in all likelyhood.

HomeGuru

RandyL712 said:
I believe your only hope is to file for adverse possession, but I don't think it applies to you. In any event, either move or get an attorney, but you have no right to live there in all likelyhood.

**A: there you go POPweasel44, your complete solid legal advice from RandyL712 that you were wating for.

R

RandyL712

I think my favorite thing about web forums is how it gives people the opportunity to be horrendous jerks, much more so than they'd have the courage to be in person. Get a punching bag, fellah, don't use the posters to vent your anger.

HomeGuru

RandyL712 said:
I think my favorite thing about web forums is how it gives people the opportunity to be horrendous jerks, much more so than they'd have the courage to be in person. Get a punching bag, fellah, don't use the posters to vent your anger.

**A: yes, the internet is power and since we are not living in the caveman days, it only takes brains not brawn to prevail online.
One can always prove intelligence and one can rightly display ignorance on the web.
In your case the later applies since I gave you advance warning to read the writer's initial post for details. It is quite obvious that you did not follow my advice since your reply is absurd and lacks any value and thought to the writer's squatters rights issue. Heck, if you read my response, you would have not even responded on this thread.
I have no anger to vent towards you because I am relaxed due to your very humor related response.
If you are going to continue posting comments, please obtain all the facts about the writer's issues beforehand. That way you will not look so ignorant with respect to the facts and the legal issues surrounding the writer's case.

HomeGuru

Re: RandyL712

POP44 said:
First of all Mr. big shot 'HomeGuru' this is the first time I have used a site like this so if a new thread or whatever bothers you cut some slack to new users.

Secondly, I think I have the right to more than one opinion and having read your answers to other's letters you seem like a very negative, unhelpful and even sarcastic person. I have already gone through bankruptcy and foreclosure. So is it any wonder that I would like a second opinion.

**A: just because you are newbie to a website forum does not give you the right to make up your own rules and throw proper internet forum manners aside. If you looked at the various threads, you would have realized that anyone can post to a thread. Therefore, you do have a right to more than one opinion. This is an open forum so if anyone wanted to contribute to your thread, the option was available. Your creation of a new thread on the same subject did afford an opinion from RandyL712 but as you can see from your 2nd thread, you put this contributor in a very awkward position in not having the facts and not reading my responses before responding. Poor RandyL712, you pulled a fast one and tricked someone willing to help you.

I'm in a very stressful situation and in very poor health

**A: so what does that have to do with following the website forum instructions and having proper manners.
and RandyL712 is correct basically the house was empty and I moved in.

So RandyL712 if you need more info from me to be able to offer some advice please let me know.

Lin

**A: so Lin, if you cannot accept my advice to you on your initial thread, feel free to pay an attorney $150-250 an hour to give you the exact same advice. You can look the other way and refuse to believe truth if you want to. In any event, you will be packing and moving soon regardless.

Good luck.

HomeGuru
Mr. Big Shot

J

JenEd

Isn't that stealing?

POP44, isn't that stealing to use something that isn't yours? Sounds like theft to me.

Anyway, if you do want to own the house/property, maybe you should see if anyone is paying property taxes on it or if they have lapsed. If property taxes have not been paid, then check out if there is a program in place in the county where you can pay the back tax and own the property. I don't know if this would apply in this instance or not, but it is worth a try.

If you had a good conscience, you would get out of that house until you own it or have the proper authority's ok to use it.

-----
This is just my opinion/view, not at all any form of legal advise.

HomeGuru

Re: Isn't that stealing?

JenEd said:
POP44, isn't that stealing to use something that isn't yours? Sounds like theft to me.

Anyway, if you do want to own the house/property, maybe you should see if anyone is paying property taxes on it or if they have lapsed. If property taxes have not been paid, then check out if there is a program in place in the county where you can pay the back tax and own the property. I don't know if this would apply in this instance or not, but it is worth a try.

If you had a good conscience, you would get out of that house until you own it or have the proper authority's ok to use it.

-----
This is just my opinion/view, not at all any form of legal advise.

**A: sorry, you do not know the full story which is on another thread.

R

RandyL712

HomeGuru

I appreciate that you sit around helping people so often, I really do. But your responses are so hard to read, why do you quote the entire original post? Just post your answer so we can actually read it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">