• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatter's Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nishka

My father and his older brother were willed a piece of ground by their grandfather. My father has worked the land, lived on the land for 20 years, helped pay or has entirely paid the taxes for all those years and his brother hasn't done anything to help in any way. Dad has never made a profit off of this land, in fact, many times he has lost money. But, my Father loves this land and he has passed that love on to me. Do we have any way of making sure the farm stays intact? The issue has never been decided because the land can't be divided equally(farmable land, not farmable land, wooded areas, etc.) Dad's brother wanted him to buy him out many years ago but why should Dad pay for land that is already his? Also, is it true that if my name is not on the deed and Dad should pass away, even though he has a will, I wouldn't be able to do anything about the land? His brother just wants it for the money he thinks he can get. He doesn't even know that Dad has never made any money off of the land, nor does he care. He knows he can make money on the timber though. My Father has never cut a living tree down. He gets all his firewood from trees that have fallen. Can anyone give me some advice? I don't want to lose this land or see it "raped" by people who only want money out of it. Nishka

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You need to go see either a land use attorney or real estate attorney. They were willed this land as joint tenants or tenants in common.

You have to see there is an ouster. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration to see if your dad's brother has a property interest.

Try attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">