• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatters Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bboop91347

I live in California and have a question regarding squatters rights.
I have an adjoining property that was left vacant as the lady (owner) passed away. Our home owners assoc. turned it over to the state for probate, approx 1 year ago. I have just been informed that a family of squatters are moving in this weekend and using a squatters right law. They said that they have paid back tax's and leans on the property and have the right to do this. If the deceased relatives can not be located they become legal owners in 5 years. Is this true? The reason I ask is because some of the people that are going to be in this house are drug users and I can not leave my house nor can my neighbors as we have to live in fear of being broken into. I have contacted our home owners assoc. but they are telling me that if they filed the proper paper work and paid taxes and leins it is legal and there is nothing they can do. The only relative is in Ill. and has no interest in the property and does not want to be bothered. Is there any options regarding this issue that may keep them from squatting on this property.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

rowz

If I were you and did not want to consult a lawyer, check the actual laws fo "squatters rights" in CA. or check with some county/municipal officials [and no the HOA does not count] OR consult with the local District Attorney then I would wait for the new tenants to do something wrong,call the police and let them handle it.

I would be very surprised to hear that the State Dept. in charge of estates without heirs would not be in violation of their duties by allowing this to happen.

Do not forget to let us know here how this turns out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">