• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatters Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaddHadder6801

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky

I live in Ky and just recently stumbled up on some land that nobody lives on. Their is an owner but he don't take care of the land. I was just wanting to know what the statute of limitations is on squatters rights in Ky, and how long you have to live on the land to receive a title.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky

I live in Ky and just recently stumbled up on some land that nobody lives on. Their is an owner but he don't take care of the land. I was just wanting to know what the statute of limitations is on squatters rights in Ky, and how long you have to live on the land to receive a title.
**A: search adverse possession.

FlyingRon

HG is leading you into the right direction, but let me give it to you plainly. Squatting alone will never give you property rights. In Kentucky, you have to live their 15 years openly without permission of the owner, pay your taxes, etc..
You can then file a civil lawsuit to try and get title awarded.

HomeGuru

HG is leading you into the right direction, but let me give it to you plainly. Squatting alone will never give you property rights. In Kentucky, you have to live their 15 years openly without permission of the owner, pay your taxes, etc..
You can then file a civil lawsuit to try and get title awarded.
**A: please clarify the "pay your taxes" comment. Based on your advice, there would be confusion with respect to personal income taxes versus real property taxes on the subject real property. The OP may want to know about notorious use.

davidbcohen001

paying taxes in this situation means paying property tax. in fact you can pay it as a means of declaring that you are in possission of the area you're squating on. in other words your being open about you're intentions which is one of the requirments.

FlyingRon

HG was quite aware of what he was talking about two months ago when he made that statement, try to only respond to CURRENT threads.

Gypsylife

More squatting Questions

Hello, I live in Colorado and I had some questions about land and how it is possible to claim rights to it. I built a cabin about 10 years ago with a few buddies just for fun up in the woods. We just recently were found up there while taking a trip and were told we had to tear everything down. We know that for sure we are out of National Forest Reserve land but are not sure if we can claim rights to the property. Any suggestions? Comments?

justalayman

Nope. It's 18 years in Colorado and you have now been notified to leave so time stops now.

do as asked or face the legal penalties

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">