• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatter's Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nightofstars

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? There's a few states of interest, Alaska, Wyoming, Nevada, AZ, and New Mexico.

I was wondering about remote abandoned lands/properties you see just setting there, sometimes an interesting decaying home and farm will be there or other really old structures. And, as vacant as that is, homes and land are needed by those in poverty, the very low income such as myself w/one child. Is there such thing as current squatter's rights for any of those states above that exist so another can begin inhabiting abandoned unused space and acquire ownership of it? If there is, what would be involved in such a process? It seems uncool that people really need a place to spend their lives for their entire lives but cannot afford a six figure place as things are going today where everyone pays all their lives just in time to die when it is finally paid off, yet abandoned properties in remote areas just set there unused when others need homes and land.

If anyone knows what current laws are for any of the above states just moving onto abandoned land and acquiring ownership somehow, it has been a subject that's entered my head over the years in curiosity due to some historical squatter's rights that at least 'used' to exist in Alaska and some land owners feared squatters. In our family, our uncles used to have to remove squatters a number of times from our extended family's remote Alaska land (5 acres, is not mine) because squatters were trying to gain claim to it. This is what was heard on the matter at that time.

I'd like to have some land of my own in maybe Wyoming or one of the states above and didn't think a hope on earth existed to have some in my home state Alaska because it is SO expensive! There was also a movie star on the Jay Leno show in the last couple months that said her family was homeless and squatted in abandoned properties, if you're really having trouble and need a home, what can you do within squatter's rights or some kind of alternative access to land opportunities that could be around but we may not know about? Any experience out there or accurate knowledge would sure help to clear this up.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? There's a few states of interest, Alaska, Wyoming, Nevada, AZ, and New Mexico.

I was wondering about remote abandoned lands/properties you see just setting there, sometimes an interesting decaying home and farm will be there or other really old structures. And, as vacant as that is, homes and land are needed by those in poverty, the very low income such as myself w/one child. Is there such thing as current squatter's rights for any of those states above that exist so another can begin inhabiting abandoned unused space and acquire ownership of it? If there is, what would be involved in such a process? It seems uncool that people really need a place to spend their lives for their entire lives but cannot afford a six figure place as things are going today where everyone pays all their lives just in time to die when it is finally paid off, yet abandoned properties in remote areas just set there unused when others need homes and land.

If anyone knows what current laws are for any of the above states just moving onto abandoned land and acquiring ownership somehow, it has been a subject that's entered my head over the years in curiosity due to some historical squatter's rights that at least 'used' to exist in Alaska and some land owners feared squatters. In our family, our uncles used to have to remove squatters a number of times from our extended family's remote Alaska land (5 acres, is not mine) because squatters were trying to gain claim to it. This is what was heard on the matter at that time.

I'd like to have some land of my own in maybe Wyoming or one of the states above and didn't think a hope on earth existed to have some in my home state Alaska because it is SO expensive! There was also a movie star on the Jay Leno show in the last couple months that said her family was homeless and squatted in abandoned properties, if you're really having trouble and need a home, what can you do within squatter's rights or some kind of alternative access to land opportunities that could be around but we may not know about? Any experience out there or accurate knowledge would sure help to clear this up.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
um...so you want someone on this forum to help you squat onto property that legally belongs to someone else??? Really:confused::confused:

Your post has to be a joke...

justalayman

nightofstars;2243619] It seems uncool that people really need a place to spend their lives for their entire lives but cannot afford a six figure place as things are going today where everyone pays all their lives just in time to die when it is finally paid off, yet abandoned properties in remote areas just set there unused when others need homes and land.
so you think it is fair that they worked hard all their lives and you want to just take over their property without putting forth the effort they had to to get what they wanted. I believe the applicable term would be "amoral".

If anyone knows what current laws are for any of the above states just moving onto abandoned land and acquiring ownership somehow, it has been a subject that's entered my head over the years in curiosity due to some historical squatter's rights that at least 'used' to exist in Alaska and some land owners feared squatters. I
I either know them or have access to them but I surely wouldn't consider helping a person steal anothers land. I wouldn't want somebody to do it to me. I surely won't help somebody do it to another.

I'd like to have some land of my own in maybe Wyoming or one of the states above
I would to and when I can afford to buy some, I may but until then, I'll do what everybody else does is work and save.

and didn't think a hope on earth existed to have some in my home state Alaska because it is SO expensive!
doesn't sound like you intend on buying anything. Just as cheap to steal land in Alaska as it is in any other state.

There was also a movie star on the Jay Leno show in the last couple months that said her family was homeless and squatted in abandoned properties, if you're really having trouble and need a home, what can you do within squatter's rights or some kind of alternative access to land opportunities that could be around but we may not know about? Any experience out there or accurate knowledge would sure help to clear this up.
all I have to say is; I am surely glad we have castle doctrine laws in Indiana and Michigan because if I end up confronting somebody in one of my properties without my permission, one of us is most likely not walking out.

Antigone*

all I have to say is; I am surely glad we have castle doctrine laws in Indiana and Michigan because if I end up confronting somebody in one of my properties without my permission, one of us is most likely not walking out.

:eek::eek: How Southern Californian of you:cool:

nightofstars

so you think it is fair that they worked hard all their lives and you want to just take over their property without putting forth the effort they had to to get what they wanted. I believe the applicable term would be "amoral".

Now, if you had read the original submission...there sadly was only a very disruptive, rude response that erupted from you in which you did not make one useable comment. It is better if you have some understanding & actual information on law&opportunity, as the inquiry was looking for, not your aggressive angry attitude towards another matter, someone actually stealing the land of others OR YOURS that was not a matter here at all.

Last edited:

nightofstars

I either know them or have access to them but I surely wouldn't consider helping a person steal anothers land. I wouldn't want somebody to do it to me. I surely won't help somebody do it to another.

I would to and when I can afford to buy some, I may but until then, I'll do what everybody else does is work and save.

doesn't sound like you intend on buying anything. Just as cheap to steal land in Alaska as it is in any other state.

Now, if you had read the original submission, I was inquiring because there had been a question in my mind since someone that tried to SQUAT on a 5 acre remote piece of land accessible only by plane or boat that is owned by our entire extended family (not owned by I alone) due to how our grandfather wrote it into his will, it was never to leave our family. However, someone has been moving onto it a number of time over the years, and some of the more robust family members have forcibly removed them so they could not claim some kind of squatter's rights. Now, that raised a question in my head, is there such rights they actually could or would possess to do such a thing to our grandparent's land and wishes should someone not realize for awhile they were out there. However, yes, they worked all their lives to get this land, but not everyone can accomplish the 6 digit high prices that have now erupted in today's greedy natured society that has lead to all these market rate fallouts and the loss of homes for so many. I stated, it has been noticed that pieces of land in the middle of nowhere have gone unattended for nearly all our lives, and there will be a scant remnant of a prior homestead. No one visits it, no one ever returns, the question was civil and asked, is there a method, an opportunity, that exists to try and obtain those lands, not an inquiry to take your land as you selfishly implied the inquiry was based. However, I, a long-term Alaskan whose bloodline has existed in Alaska many, many generations before it was ever a state, can tell you this you are specifically in error about Alaskan land: I said Alaskan land is very expensive, it is hard for those that have been there for generations to even obtain it. It is considered very valuable sought after property and as of my mention that it is very expensive and hard to obtain, you applied a very rogue inappropriate response that Alaskan land is just as easy to STEAL - after I had given some information on Alaskan land being very hard to obtain, even by purchase. Now my brother-in-law watched his father pay for his home all his life, then he died, and it was so sad. The cost is so high, the houses are often not even paid for over the entire span of someone's lifetime - that was the nature of the question about absolutely abandoned properties and families that just cannot do it having optoins - it was not a question about STEALING from YOU. Your responses largely were offering so much commentary and you're trying to make it look like they are responses to statements made, when your commentary is actually not response to statements that actually were made, but your commentary is new issues you feel like taking up for yourself, a vested interested in stirring up things like 'stealing land' etc. This has nothing to do with the actual inquiry, at all, and makes one wonder why you bothered to answer at all if all you had was a confrontational natured unfriendly firing off at someone response that did not respond whatsoever to the actual nature of the inquiry. The feedback didn't even assist in aiding at all anywhere near what was asked other than make false accusations someone was inquiring to STEAL your land, anyone's land, as though they deliberately had said so when that is not what happened. There was honest inquiry made and where the curiosity originated was offered because they were and are honest questions that have remained for many years due to what was occurring around our own remote family property, and seeing abandoned properties, etc., etc...There really sadly was only a very disruptive, rude, unproductive response that erupted from you in which you did not make one useable useful comment and it is better if you have some understanding and actual information on law and opportunity, as the inquiry was looking for, not your aggressive angry attitude towards another matter (someone actually stealing the land of others) that was not a matter here at all. It is a waste of time and appears you are making efforts to keep everyone off the boards and attempt to change what they're saying if you don't like some of the honest inquiries made there and since you seem to feel you are the only place any answers come from on this board, maintaining some kind of upsetting rogue monopoly on it, I will not return to the boards to listen to anymore of your misguided aggression.

Last edited:

John Se

no such thing as squatters rights, in this country

State Laws does provide for adverse possession, under the assumption that is provides for a way to make good use of the land (really goes back to farming highest and best use). Research adverse possession. In alaska you can still "file and homestead land" my relatives have, of course, you can only get there by float plane in the summer and snow machine in the winter.

HomeGuru

State Laws does provide for adverse possession, under the assumption that is provides for a way to make good use of the land (really goes back to farming highest and best use). Research adverse possession. In alaska you can still "file and homestead land" my relatives have, of course, you can only get there by float plane in the summer and snow machine in the winter.
**A: good one, especially being that the OP listed the names of 5 different states.

justalayman

**A: good one, especially being that the OP listed the names of 5 different states.
What? Do you imply that the OP can't have properties in 5 different states and be having problems with squatters so he would have to worry about adverse possession in all of them?

Oh HG, you seem to lack trust. ;)

HomeGuru

What? Do you imply that the OP can't have properties in 5 different states and be having problems with squatters so he would have to worry about adverse possession in all of them?

Oh HG, you seem to lack trust. ;)
**A: hahaha, too funny. The OP did not even get the first question correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">