• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatters rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jasmnep517

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I have lived with my father in a house that was owned by his mother and sister for the last 5 years. When my father died in Feb.2010. My grandmother sold the house and split the sale between herself and her daughters child, I did not receive anything. The new owner now has served me with a 10 day squatter notice on Monday July 26, 2010 that says i have to be out on August 10, 2010. After I got the notice the new owner continues to stop by the house unannounced and threatens to cut off the water, electricty and change the locks. He has had a conversation with me where he said he checks the mail, and was recording acitivity of the house from his truck. He says I have no right to be there because this is a single family dwelling and he is the owner. My question is do I have a right to at least a hearing before he cuts services and sends the marshalls?
:confused:

nextwife

So you and dad had been living in a house not owned or leased by dad, correct?

How old are you and how have you known about the house being sold? Were you paying Grandma any rent to live in her house? Did you and dad, or you, alone, have a lease? How long SINCE it sold?

justalayman

you are/were a tenant. You must be evicted through the courts should you refuse to leave willingly.

and, just to make it clear; you have no real rights here other than the new owner must follow the laws in evicting you. You have no legal claim of right to remain at the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">