• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Squatter's Rights in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Ivyliege

I am a NYC super who's position is being eliminated. After residing 3 years in my current apt., I now have only 2 months to find another home. If you've ever lived in NYC, you know that's not nearly enough time. In fact, I'm losing my home and my job at the same time. After doing some research, I found out that my apt value was NEVER reported on my W2s as part of my wages. Isn't that illegal? Don't employers have to report boarding as part of income? Also, I would like to know exactly the amount of time a landlord has to give a tenant to vacate premises. Let me also mention that the apt. I will be leaving will NOT be given to the new super, but renovated and leased out for approximately $3000/month. As far as I know, that is profiteering, and that is illegal.

L

loudrich

Well thats greed in NYC........

OK heres what i suggest: Go to DHCR 25 beaver st 5th floor Bowling green station, and see how your apartment was registered. It should have been registered as exempt if you were NOT paying rent.

If the LL made a mistake and has it listed under rent stabilization, i would get a lawyer and sue the LL for the right to get a lease.

Also what is their back up plan? They have to have a super within 500 feet of the building and the phone #'s listed in the building.

And unless you have a signed lease for the apartment...they were really nice to give you 2 months, they could have said 30 days...

Also the new rules are that if an apartment is registered as exempt for 4 years thats all...the intial rent is whatever the tenant and landlord agree on...

who lived in the apartment before you? did they pay rent?

There is more but first

Email me at [email protected]

--------------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ivyliege:
I am a NYC super who's position is being eliminated. After residing 3 years in my current apt., I now have only 2 months to find another home. If you've ever lived in NYC, you know that's not nearly enough time. In fact, I'm losing my home and my job at the same time. After doing some research, I found out that my apt value was NEVER reported on my W2s as part of my wages. Isn't that illegal? Don't employers have to report boarding as part of income? Also, I would like to know exactly the amount of time a landlord has to give a tenant to vacate premises. Let me also mention that the apt. I will be leaving will NOT be given to the new super, but renovated and leased out for approximately $3000/month. As far as I know, that is profiteering, and that is illegal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">