• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

squatting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gemintharuff

What is the name of your state? California
I live in Los Angeles Co. The lady that lived next door died about 3 years ago, no husband, no children, and left the house, I believe, to a niece. My husband and I care for the yard, mail, etc. with no retribution, as we knew the old lady. Since that time, her niece has not lived in or kept up on the house, and it is basically abandoned. About a month ago someone came out from the state asking about the house, saying something about taxes. What are squatting laws, if any, and how can I find out how much taxes are owed, and if I pay them, is there any way to get ownership?

HomeGuru

gemintharuff said:
What is the name of your state? California
I live in Los Angeles Co. The lady that lived next door died about 3 years ago, no husband, no children, and left the house, I believe, to a niece. My husband and I care for the yard, mail, etc. with no retribution, as we knew the old lady. Since that time, her niece has not lived in or kept up on the house, and it is basically abandoned. About a month ago someone came out from the state asking about the house, saying something about taxes. What are squatting laws, if any, and how can I find out how much taxes are owed, and if I pay them, is there any way to get ownership?
**A: please direct your questions to your local real property tax office. And post back with what they tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">